_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Revell's S-100 questions
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Model Shipwrights: 79 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:02 AM UTC
Hello sailors,

I have a few questions regarding Revell's 1:72 S-100 Schnellboot. Now from various reviews it appears that this kit is pretty good. But what say you guys?

Also, I was looking at PE sets for this kit. How does the White Ensign kit compare to that by Eduard?

I also hear that Italeri have got a 1:35 S-100 planned. Any idea when it'll be released?

And then finally a million dollar question.... are there any kits of S-38's or S-38B's available?

Rudi
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello sailors,

I have a few questions regarding Revell's 1:72 S-100 Schnellboot. Now from various reviews it appears that this kit is pretty good. But what say you guys?

EXCELLENT kit, brother Tarok...actually, one of my all time fav's!

Quoted Text

Also, I was looking at PE sets for this kit. How does the White Ensign kit compare to that by Eduard?

Personally, Rudi, I prefer the WEM PE set, more bang for the buck (and the accuracy is spot on)

Quoted Text

I also hear that Italeri have got a 1:35 S-100 planned. Any idea when it'll be released?

They sure do, mate, and rumors are flying (as usual) but no formal announcement has been made by Italeri yet...

Quoted Text

And then finally a million dollar question.... are there any kits of S-38's or S-38B's available?

Rudi

http://www.schnellboot.net/de/km/s100/skywave700/index.html

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/artikel.php?id=2683

One of my favorite builds here:

http://www.modelwarships.com/features/ships/s-100/schnell.htm
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 05:41 PM UTC
Thanks Mark,

About the Italeri kit, Hannants already has it listed as a forthcoming kit on their site... but no price yet... But I'd expect it to be in the same range as the PT (?).

Cheers for the links to ModelWarShips, but I'd actually just read Jeff's review/article prior to posting. I was a bit (okay, to be honest very) dissappointed by the review of S-100 here on MSW. It was more than a bit flightly for such a great kit, with so much left unsaid. I'd love it for someone to do an updated build feature or review of this kit for MSW since it's so popular (just not me )

Thanks for the S-38 info... but 1:350?!?! Dude, that's just waaaay too small for me! I'm not even going to mention the 1:700. Forget about the dog or a kid swallowing one... hell, I might even swallow one!

Here's another Schnellboot doozie.... and LS craft available? Preferably in 1:72 or 1:35.

Cheers again for the info, and S-100 has been added to the Christmas list

Rudi
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 - 09:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Mark,

About the Italeri kit, Hannants already has it listed as a forthcoming kit on their site... but no price yet... But I'd expect it to be in the same range as the PT (?).

Aye, Rudi, the old "advance release"....I had my Elco kit in the pre-order stage for a loooooooooooong time, my friend,

Quoted Text

Cheers for the links to ModelWarShips, but I'd actually just read Jeff's review/article prior to posting. I was a bit (okay, to be honest very) dissappointed by the review of S-100 here on MSW. It was more than a bit flightly for such a great kit, with so much left unsaid. I'd love it for someone to do an updated build feature or review of this kit for MSW since it's so popular (just not me )

J can really build a Scnellboot, he did a scratch build a short while back that just made me drool, using a fibreglass hull for a customer commission...maybe some day when I grow up I can build an S-boot like he can!

I've got the kit in my stash, maybe I can do a build feature this winter (or would anyone else with one want to volunteer?)

Quoted Text

Here's another Schnellboot doozie.... any LS craft available? Preferably in 1:72 or 1:35.

Now you've gone and asked the million dollar question.....I haven't seen a dedicated LS in plastic or resin, but CHOROSZY MODELBUD has some fine looking Italian small craft available...

Glad to hear you have the S-100 on the list, Rudi, and who knows...maybe you just might get bit by the ole salty ship builders bug!

Cheers,
~Mark
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 01:15 AM UTC
An S-Boot in 1/35? Geeze, the thing will be huge. I've both the 1/72 S-Boot and PT 109 and the S-Boot dwarfs the 109. I've seen the 1/35 PT, and in my minds eye I can see how much bigger the S-Boot would have to be.

PBBakels
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 15 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 05:55 AM UTC
I heard that the Scale 1/35 kit of an S-100 class E-Boat is expected to be out around December this year-I hope it will be what i expect it to be-great!
I am working on a multi-media kit of same and working on her crew of 10.
Pete.
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 - 07:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Glad to hear you have the S-100 on the list, Rudi, and who knows...maybe you just might get bit by the ole salty ship builders bug!

Just don't go holding your breath... I'm still trying to finish a 1:100 kit of the Black Falcon from about 7 years ago... and next year's going to be hectic for me - some major changes happening...

Rudi
thelittleguy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 14 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 - 11:58 PM UTC
I spoke with Bob Lewin of MRC ( US distributor for Italeri) on October 10, 2007reference Italeri 1/35 S-100 Schnellboot. Italeri is working to perfect the hull before release which is now scheduled for some time in 2008. The hull is enormous, around 1 meter(says a source on the internet), and has caused some difficuties. I have no project retail price but, if I took an guess I would place the cost at near or slightly higher than the Italeri 1/35 Elco 80' PT Boat PT-596.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 - 09:20 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I heard that the Scale 1/35 kit of an S-100 class E-Boat is expected to be out around December this year-I hope it will be what i expect it to be-great!
I am working on a multi-media kit of same and working on her crew of 10.
Pete.

Hi Pete

Does this means you're working on the ADV/Azimut S-100 Schnellboot?
I have the crew and the figurines are great - now just have to wait for the release of the Italeri model!!
This is one of those models that are crying for a good dio!
(sorry Rudi, for changing directions on your post )
Skipper
 _GOTOTOP