_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
MODELx Magazine, Volume 1
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 06:51 AM UTC
Ahoy Mates!

Join me in a closer look at volume 1 of the new bi-monthly publication, MODELx magazine!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 23, 2007 - 09:54 AM UTC
Looks like a very good magazine. The most important thing is having something for everybody, Planes, Armor, Ships, Figures, even Sci Fi.

I haven't downloaded it yet but I plan to.

Thanks for pointing this one out.

Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
Model Shipwrights: 120 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 01:52 PM UTC
I have been a subscriber since they first announced the magazine and boy let me tell you... You will not be disappointed!!! The magazine has excellent articles better suited to the new modeler demographic (us middle aged guys with good modeling skils and lots of play money... heh heh ). The photography is excellent and is printed on high quality paper.

I had the opportunity to meet Jeff Herne (the head honcho of ModelX) at the Nationals in L.A., and I must say, he's a really great guy and is an active member of the modeling community. And he really knows how to do a magazine!
Clanky44
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
Model Shipwrights: 934 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 24, 2008 - 03:57 PM UTC
The magazine looks good. It's often said that the internet has made mags a thing of the past, but I for one still buy them. I enjoy taking the time to read them and to study and learn from the detailed photographs at my leisure.

thanks Mark for posting,

Frank
Angry_Ensign
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 315 posts
Model Shipwrights: 145 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 05:17 AM UTC
Issue 2 was delayed by some printer issues, but it is already shipping to subscribers. The lineup for Issue 2 includes:

Curtis Knight's scratchbuilt 1/72 Etrich Taube
Lynn Ritger's Adversary Series - P-47 vs. Bf 109
Michael Rinaldi's Panther G
Mike Kirchoff's M4A3E8 Sherman "Thunderbolt"
Jaume Ortiz' 79th Seaforth Highlander figure
Rusty Whites U.S.S. Cairo
Jeff Herne's T.I.E Interceptor
IPMS/USA Nationals Auto coverage

X-factor Armor - Panzer IV Ausf D
X-factor Air - North American P-51D Mustang
Tech Talk - Weathering Friulmodel track links

The lineup for issue three, due out in late March, includes:

Chris Sherland's 1/32 P-47D Thunderbolt. Chris gives the treatment to Hasegawa's new Thunderbolt.

Michael Rinaldi's 1/32 Macchi 200 Seatta. Pacific Coast Model's Italian fighter is the focus of Michael's attention.

Ray Peterson's 1/16 KV-1E. When 1/35 scale isn't big enough, Ray decides to attack a large-scale version of the WW2 Russian heavy tank.

Jeff Herne's 1/6 Jagdpanzer IV L/70. The editor finally proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that he has more storage space than common sense! Check out the details on Battle Ready Armor's metal monster.

Masterpiece Models' 1:1 Mars Rover. It's not exactly a kit, but Masterpiece Models replica of the Mars Rover is a spectacular representation of one of NASA's most successful projects.

Anders Heintz presents Sculpting Ivan. Ever wonder how resin figures are created? Renowned sculptor Anders Heintz takes through the step-by-step process of sculpting a figure from scratch.

Jeff Herne's 1/700 U.S.S Brooklyn. From one extreme to the other, the editor goes from huge metal tanks to small resin warships. Niko Models U.S.S. Nashville is the subject of this 1/700 warship project.

X-factor Air - Republic P-47D Thunderbolts from EAA Airventure

ModelX-tra - EuroMilitaire 2007

I'll have the Issue 4 lineup finalized in a few weeks.

Regards,

Jeff Herne
Editor, MODELx
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 - 06:57 AM UTC
Thanks for stopping by J, and giving us the full poop on the up and coming, bro...looking forward to the future!
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 31, 2008 - 05:30 AM UTC
Hey Jeff, Just so you know, I'm pushing my local hobby shop to carry more, but at this point they seem content to pick up just a couple and let them fly off the shelves....
 _GOTOTOP