_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
PBR question
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 156 posts
Model Shipwrights: 14 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 02:17 AM UTC
I picked up the Tamiya PBR kit at the local hobbytown usa this weekend and intend to build it as the primary boat my grandpa went out on during the war. I'm running into a couple of problems with this however.

1.) I cannot find out a whole lot about River Division 543 from 69-70 in the DaNang area. Specifically boat 95.

2.) Tamiya has the foward twin fifties gun tub so that the gunner sat between them. I need to know how to go about changing that as the boat I am building had them closer together and the gunner sat behind them.

3.) I cannot find any descent pictures of a PBR without the radar dome or mast, after leaving the area around the DMZ river division 543 removed these permenantly so they could get under the bridges easier in the new patrol area.

4.) I have read every book I can get my hands on about the PBR, but are there any really good resources I need to get. Here is what I have
Wynn Goldsmiths - Papa Bravo Romeo
Don Sheppard - Riverine: A Brown_Water sailor in the delta
Thomas J. Cutler - Brown Water, Black Berets
and several books about SEALs just because they worked with the PBRs

Thanks for all your help. When I get home and start today I'll start a build log so hopefully those who know more about this can help me build this right as I would love to present this to my grandpa when finished
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 03:08 AM UTC
http://www.tf116.org/vgallery1.html
Frigate
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
Model Shipwrights: 205 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 03:23 AM UTC
Josh,
From the sounds of it, your Grandfather might have been on a PBR Mk I. The Tamaya kit is a Mk II, quite a bit of difference. Also you might want to check out the book, "U.S.Small Combatants" by Norman Friedman, published by the Naval Institute Press 1987. ISBN 0-87021-713-5

Hope this helps.....................Semper Fi, Bruce
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 03:52 AM UTC
http://www.warboats.org/pbr.htm
http://www.rivervet.com/pbrs.htm

One in 1/32 scale???
http://www.microglass.net/products/p1009.html
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 06:18 AM UTC
thanks all. Ah, mark I PBR would explain a few things. Guess I get to learn how to scratchbuild now. That's what I get for just assuming that that late in the war all were mark IIs. Ill se if I can locate a copy of that book. Again thanks a ton all
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 25, 2007 - 10:57 AM UTC
Microglass http://www.microglass.net offers a fiberglass hull of the MK1 in 1/32.

1/12 scale plans for the MK1 (part of which are shown below) are available at http://www.coastalforcesplans.com

Al Ross

ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 05:46 AM UTC
After carefull consideration, I've decided that since he had one mark II in his river section that is what I will build. It looked like I would have to do more scratch building than I feel comfortable doing at this time to convert it. After building this one I might try my hand at a small scratch built mark I
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 - 04:50 PM UTC
Josh,
Not a problem, Mate. Scratchbuilding is not as bad as it seems. There are plenty of folks here more than willing to help. And Al's plans above are enough to get you started. You can check out Rui's build of the 1/700th Frigate to see how it is done.

Below is an older photo of my current build of a Mark II PBR in 1/144th scale. It's just proof if I can do it, anyone can do it ! Just sing out if you need assistance. Semper Fi ...................Bruce

ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 27, 2007 - 01:33 AM UTC
That's scratchbuilt? Not that I'm an expert or even really know what I'm doing but that looks GREAT. I'm going to finish out the kit I have first and learn as much as I can and then I think I will try to tackle the scratch mk I. I cannot get over how knowledgable everyone here is
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 - 12:51 AM UTC
Quick question for anybody with an answer. How long does it normally take to get an Eduard PE set after you order it? I know they have to be shipped from Europe, but I ordered it for this kit a week ago and all I have gotten is an email saying that the order was sent to Eduard and I would recieve an email when it was shipped. I've not heard anything in almost a week and have emailed them with no response. So is this normal or do I need to do something about this
DogEgg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 341 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:33 AM UTC
Reading between the lines, I'm guessing you're getting the Eduard set for the PBR? Well worth it... Hannants here in the UK hold most of Eduard's stuff in stock (but I don't know what the postage will be like to the States...) and normally deliver pretty swiftly... having said that, I'm waiting for tons through the mail at the moment from all over, but it's all caught up in the uk postal system after their strikes last week - backlog will take 10 days to clear, so if it's the UK you've ordered stuff from, you'll have to be patient like the rest of us brits!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 10:56 AM UTC
Well... acoiple of things - all PBR related
Hey Bruce:
Excellent looking PBR - did you solder or superglued the brass tubing?
Either way, it looks very good (more, more photos, please!)

To Josh
Europe to US, or reverse (in my case) can be a very strange experience....
I have received packages within a week, other after 2-3 months. This is something I can NOT EXPLAIN.
The worst that happened to me was one package from Pacific Front Hobbies that took a year (it must have walked to here!!!)
I am sorry for not replying earlier, but I missed this post

don't despair - it should be at your home soon - and if Eduard has said that they have already send it, they can not do anything now
Keep up your spirit
Skipper
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 12:09 PM UTC
Rui,
Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been out of town for a few days. To answer your question, the brass is superglued. I prefer it because it may not be as strong, but the glue is "finer", and I don't burn the heck out of myself.

Actually the PBR will be completed this week. It took longer than I figgured, but part of that was the diorama setting. This project won't be great, but I really enjoyed it. I included a few pics from before in the build. Once I'm completed, I'll post a few to the completed file just to get some critiques, so don't be bashful !!!! Semper Fi .........................Bruce

img]http://photos.kitmaker.net/data/500/PBR_023.jpg[/img]
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 11:22 PM UTC
Corrected image link:

Hi Bruce
Nothing to point out except it looks great!
And now a stupid question: Why 1/144?

Skipper
Frigate
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 02:33 AM UTC
Rui,
You asked why 1/144th scale ? The main reason is size and common scale. There are now kits of Aircraft, Boats, Subs, and Armor in this scale. Admitedly they may not be the most detailed, but they don't suck up the display space, or bust the budget. Plus if the modeler puts some time into the kits, they can be fairly decent.

Below are a few examples of my completions. While not the best, it keeps me busy and these kits are really a kick to build and try to detail. Keep Building , Gang ....................Bruce

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 05:18 AM UTC
Awesome work Bruce!

Gator
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 05:51 AM UTC
Hi Bruce!

I know that 1/144 has a lot of submarines (ICM and Trumpeter) and Modern Schnellboots (Revell Germany)...
I am aware of the size of those models and I can say that you have made an EXCELLENT JOB with them!
Also like the inclusion of figurines and a smashing groundwork on both the models!
So, you are only a step away of gainning more space, when you're converted to 1/700 scale?

Congrats mate!
Skipper
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 06:20 AM UTC
The Eduard PE at last came today. Now armed with this I plan on starting back on this kit just as soon as I finish up the dragon Marder II I started last week
DogEgg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 341 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 18, 2007 - 08:12 AM UTC
Just aword of advice - although nice once made up, the Eduard ammo chutes for the front twin-fifties are a pain to fit - they don't want to twist in the way they should, and the vinyl ones which came with the kit work much better...
ElmerFudd
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Monday, October 22, 2007 - 02:35 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up on the ammo chutes, I was looking at them the other day thinking, man those look like a pain
 _GOTOTOP