_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
help with landing craft
seuss95b
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 11:26 AM UTC
I have an 1/35 Italeri LCM 50' Landing Craft that i am slowly wroking on. It has decals for both, Normandy France, 6th June 1944 and Iwo Jima, February 1945. I would like to place an armor piece in it. I really don't know much about WWII armor though. What would be a proper tank for either of the fronts?
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 12:20 PM UTC
Ahoy, Sam,
Welcome to Modelshipwrights, mate!

The Italeri LCM is a great kit, isn't it? Have a look at what one of our crewmates have done here with his landing craft!

Armor outfitiing, for D-Day era, an M4 Sherman would be fitting, or a Duece and a Half 6x6 truck...For Iwo, the M4 and her variants again, as she was the primary battle tank for the US in this era...or you could also do an M26 (tight fit!)...either way, keep us posted, and show us some pics as you go!

Keep Modeling!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 01:14 PM UTC
Ahoy Sam!

Sounds like a cool project. You would be hard pressed to get a Pershing in the LCM. The Sherman would be cool. Truthfully though, you would be better off with a half track or a deuce and a half. When it came to moving tanks to the beach, the Navy used the LCT.
That being said, a Sherman would look cool, and you do have other options.

Gator
muddyfields
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 884 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 - 08:16 PM UTC
Hello
If you wanted to set the LCM3 in an area other that the decals that come with it, They were also used to move vehicles & men across the river Rhine in Germany in the later stages of the war.
They were transported there on the back of tank transporters they put in the river .
If you contact the guy's on Armorama I'm sure 1 of them can tell you more.
Good luck with the build.
I've got the LCM 3 still to build.
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 06:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy, Sam,
Welcome to Modelshipwrights, mate!

The Italeri LCM is a great kit, isn't it? Have a look at what one of our crewmates have done here with his landing craft!

Armor outfitiing, for D-Day era, an M4 Sherman would be fitting, or a Duece and a Half 6x6 truck...For Iwo, the M4 and her variants again, as she was the primary battle tank for the US in this era...or you could also do an M26 (tight fit!)...either way, keep us posted, and show us some pics as you go!

Keep Modeling!
~Gunny

Loaded with a Sherman, the freeboard on an LCM was found to be too low for the rough weather of the Channel. For D-Day, a truck, or jeep or weapons carrier, with additional supplies (room was not wasted) would probably be more appropriate. LCMs were used to land Shermans in the Pacific though. I don't know specifically if they were used at Iwo or not, but they were used at Okinawa and in the Phillipines.

John
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 06:32 AM UTC
LCMs were also used to carry Shermans across the Rhine.

John
seuss95b
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 09:00 AM UTC
Thanks guys, it looks like I need to do some research!!! I posted at armorama too. so I will see what they say. I like the Rhine River Idea alot!!! and I will post some pics
 _GOTOTOP