_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Italeri's PT boat
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 - 11:05 AM UTC
Hello all. I grabbed one of Italeri's new Pt boats today from a LHS for a song as it had some very, very minor water damage to the bottom of the box. I was curious if there is anything that I should be aware of in regards to building this beast. I read and printed Les Rogers article on it to refer to when I get to building. Are there any updates for it for different weapons configurations etc? I like the look of Ed Casacia's boat. Lots o' guns!! Thanks in advance for any and all help. "Q"
ducati650
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Model Shipwrights: 88 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 01:21 AM UTC
Al Ross sells a data package for the 596 boat that details the errors in the kit. It includes full size plans and is well worth the money.

There is an aftermarket PE set that seems nice. I didn't use it however. Gunny spotlighted the PE set so you should be able to find it by searching.

I backdated mine to the 495 boat in Oct '44. The added guns were cast using the kit's 20mm and mounts to make silicon molds. I could not find A-M suppliers for the 20mm or mounts in 1/35 scale. The 50 cal stuff was easy to find using 1/35 scale armor pieces and scratch building the rest. If you need an SO radar dome and mast you will need to sctatch build it.

Backdating to about PT480 is pretty simple. Backdating to the 103 series is much more involved but can be done. see muddyfield's post. He has done a fantastic job. al Ross also sells a data and drawing set for backdating to the 103 series.

Right out of the box, the kit builds a very nice late war boat with only minor corrections needed, depending upon how anal you are.

Here is a copy of what I did to backdate the kit that I posted in another thread:

To backdate the kit I

1. Made molds and cast 2 additional 20mm guns and parts to make 3 mounts, 2 for the additional 20s and one for the 37mm. I did not use the kits 37mm mount or base.
2. Cast the bases for the 37mm and both outboard 20mm.
3. Cast a second smoke dispenser after a 495 crewman told me she carried 2.
4. Cast 3 additional 20 mm mags.
5. Cast 4 additional "Ready-ammo" boxes.
6. Built the Radome from scratch and modified the mast.
7. Augmented the 50 cal depression bars.
8. Built the port side twin 50 cal craddle, ammo boxes and mount.
9. Added 2 50 cal and mounts and ammo boxes to the starboard 20mm to make an "Acey-Ducey". They used the same boxes as the 50 turrets so I had to made curved boxes and brackets to hold them.
10. Made mounts and added the 30 cal and boxes to splash shields.
11. Cut down the engine room hatch to the correct width for this particular boat.
12. Modified the roll-off racks to be closer to an earlier style than in the kit.
13. Modified the cockpit to look a bit like the earlier style this boat had.
14. Added PE ammo belts everywhere. The kit's plastic ones suck.
15. Used Gator's paint masks for all the markings and insignia.
16. I made the "Gentleman Jim" decal from a photo of the rear nameplate in the PT Boat display at Falls River, Mass. It was my first homemade decal.
17. Almost forgot, the kit's ammo belt feeders attached to the twin 50 cals are only positioned correcly if the guns are level. i wanted mine pointing up so I had to cut them and turn them correctly.

It is a great kit. I could have done less if i chose another boat to backdate, like a channel or med boat but I wanted a Ron 33 boats. Also, I didn't know what I was getting into whan i started. I learned a lot. This is my first boat model, first time casting parts and first time using paint masks but I love the outcome.

Ed Casacia
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 06:07 AM UTC
Ed, Thanks for the info and the reply. I'll make note of the changes etc. Thanks again. "Q"
ducati650
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 29, 2007 - 01:05 PM UTC
My pleasure. have fun. Even right from the box it is a great kit. Just make sure you research the colors. The suggested colors in the instructions are not right. I used WEM colourcoats and really liked them.
Ed
Mike_Husky
Visit this Community
Catania, Italy
KitMaker: 71 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 09:34 PM UTC
Hello Matthew

the italian "Royal Model" is making a "big" set photoech. and resin parts for PT Boat Elco 80 Italeri......
The set will be available shortly...

We await council before the construction of your PT Boat.

The site of the Royal Model is www.royalmodel.com

Best Regards
mike_husky
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 02, 2007 - 09:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Matthew

the italian "Royal Model" is making a "big" set photoech. and resin parts for PT Boat Elco 80 Italeri......
The set will be available shortly...

We await council before the construction of your PT Boat.

The site of the Royal Model is www.royalmodel.com

Best Regards
mike_husky

Thanks for the link and news tip, Mike...I'm very curious as to what Royal Model will come through with...
ducati650
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 06:05 AM UTC
Me too!
ducati650
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 - 07:27 AM UTC
I got this reply from them:

"Dear Sir,

I wish inform you taht about the PT Boat will make the pacific harbor and some accessories for it, 5 figures and a set of photoetched and rtesin parts for the PT Boat, all masters are ready but I think that all set will be available for Juanary .

Best regards
M. Bruno
Royal Model"

> Are you making anything for the 1/35 scale Iteleri 80' Elco PT Boat?
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 - 10:32 AM UTC
Thanks for all the info guys. I won't be starting mine for awhile yet. I got tired of looking at all the half completed models littering my shelves and decided to fix that. I pulled all of them off of the shelves and stacked them on one of my tables in my shop with the goal of completing all of them over the winter. All 30 or so of them. So far I have knocked out seven of them in a little over two months. I do plan on acquiring whatever detail items I can for the big PT boat though so as to have them on hand when the time comes to get her underway. Thanks again for all of the suggestions and info. "Q"
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 - 06:02 AM UTC
I was just on their website, but saw nothing for a PT.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
Matthew, I built the Italeri PT and the only thing to watch out for are the mufflers. They only have one locating pin and need to be lined up carefully. Some people attached them before painting but it makes masking the waterline difficult. I attached mine by drilling two small holes, one in the locating pin and one on the opposite end, and then inserting a piece of small brass rod. I used the rod to mark corresponding spots on the hull and drilled a hole for each. If you do it carefully you can attach the mufflers after painting the waterline on the hull. The only other suggestion I would make is to use Micro-mesh brass screen instead of the screen supplied in the kit. I am looking forward to seeing the results of your build and hope this helps you a little. Al
PBBAKs
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 12 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2008 - 11:39 PM UTC
As reagrds to weapons for some of these boats- at long last you now find General Arrangement DRAWINGS and a short description on the quadruple Oerlikon mount used on some PT's- the "THUNDERBOLT" on the NAVSOURCE site-battleships-miscelleneous-US Battleship Construction-20mm Oerlikon mount.
A while ago I told someone that I would publish them there and here they are AT LONG LAST- Sorry for the delay---FREE of CHARGE!
Pieter Bakels.
PBBAKs
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 08:27 AM UTC
THAN you better have a GOOD look!
Log in to their Main Page---Battleship Photo Archive---Miscellenious---US Battleship Construction---than click on the 20mm Oerlikon Mount---than scroll down till you see---
the "Thunderbolt"---what is this? Kindergarten?
Pieter Bakels.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 - 12:19 PM UTC
Just FYI:

There are photos and blueprints of the Elco Thunderbolt quad-20mm mount on www.ptboatworld.com.

Garth
PBBAKs
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
Posted: Wednesday, August 13, 2008 - 05:09 AM UTC
I published an Installation Outline of the Elco Turret Model C-IV (one overhead and one side view) and Sections (the 2nd drawing/blueprint, now made black on white, front and side) with Gun Sight Mark 14 (Mod.2).
For more on this gun sight (and Mods), check "What's new" on the NavSource Battleship Photo Archive.
Pieter Bakels.
 _GOTOTOP