_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Sailing Vessels
This forum is for sailing ships both civilian and military of any era.
USS Constitution
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,064 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 06:03 PM UTC
I was looking at some photos of the USS Constitution as she appears today and was wondering if the green that appears on the inside of the gun whales (is that the correct term?) is the color that they would have been painted during her operational period. Since she is a historical artifact, I can only assume that yes it is. That said, I wanted to check with someone who was well versed in her history. I acquired a 1/196 kit of her over Christmas so I am doing some preliminary research.

Thanks for your time!

Steve
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, January 14, 2008 - 11:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was looking at some photos of the USS Constitution as she appears today and was wondering if the green that appears on the inside of the gun whales (is that the correct term?) is the color that they would have been painted during her operational period. Since she is a historical artifact, I can only assume that yes it is. That said, I wanted to check with someone who was well versed in her history. I acquired a 1/196 kit of her over Christmas so I am doing some preliminary research.

Thanks for your time!

Steve

Ahoy Steve!

First off, my friend, is this what yer talkin' bout? (think it is...)

The side of a sailing ship, including the part that projects up above the weather deck, is called a bulwark.

All of my reference points indicate that the inside surfaces of the Constitution's bulwarks during the War of 1812 were a dull, medium green.

The once common practice of painting them, and other deck fittings, red, was becoming a thing of the past by then (although the gun carriages most likely were red).

Here's a cool "BLOG" of the Revell 1/96 USS Constitution
here, if you haven't seen it yet... keep us posted of your build, mate!

blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 03:54 AM UTC
Beautiful picture. It almost makes me want to go do one, but then I look at those tie down ropes and remember why I don't. Steve looking forward to seeing your usual superior work on this one. She is a great lady and I'm proud to say I had the priveledge of being aboard her once in the mid 80's.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 08:08 AM UTC
Mark, that is what I was talking about. Thank you!
BULWARK I've added it to my vocabulary. Although, I hope that everyone can cut me a little slack, I'm from the middle of Kansas and was in the Army....

My only exposure to that which is naval came in the form of Lake Charles, Louisiana and one drunk sailor we hauled to the tank one night.

Thanks again!
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 15, 2008 - 09:01 AM UTC
Oh...and thanks for the link to the blog. This will be very useful in the construction aspect. I'd liked to have bought the larger kit, alas I had to settle for the smaller one.

Steve, thanks for the kudos, but I feel I am rather learned when it comes to my work. You guy's work is far more superior than anything I ever produced. But thank you all the same.
Fright
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2017 - 06:20 AM UTC
Steven Arthur - here's a link that gives color breakdown for the USS Constitution.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/7/p/15507/734695.aspx

WARNING: it's lengthy and, has some different opinions as to colors used during which period). I'm currently building revell's 1:96 Constitution and I'm trying to keep mine very close to the 1812 version. For my bulwarks, I mixed Model Master Green Zinc Oxide with some Dark Green & Testors Flat Green. Here's what I came up with:

_GOTOTOP