_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Scratchbuilt MSSC (Medium Seal Support Craft)
Stefan1580
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 360 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 08:32 PM UTC
Hi at all,

i want to scratchbuild an MSSC from plasticsheet. I have some photos from them found in the web but icould need some more Information about the inside of these boats. Instrumental panels, weapons stations etc. A bluprint would be fantastic but i tjink this will be only a dream. So I need every help i could get. It´s not easy to do because the lack of Information about these boats. I have two of the dragon LSSC and i think the heck of the boat is nearly identicall but i´m not sure. I have the good old Revell U.D.T boat and wantet to convert it but the measurements and form is too different fot that. Perhaps somebody here could help me ???

Thanks for help and response

Stefan

Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, January 28, 2008 - 10:47 PM UTC
Ahoy Stefan,
Welcome to Model Shipwrights, mate!

A very interesting project that you have planned, my friend, and personally, I can't help you with what you are looking for, but...we have a crew member here that immediately comes to my mind with the mention of this project, his name is Gordon Alexander Rain, callsign TreadHead, and if he doesn't pick up on this thread, I would definitely try to contact him, as I do believe he just may be able to help you out here...

Cheers,
~Gunny
johncpo
Visit this Community
New Mexico, United States
KitMaker: 81 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 20, 2008 - 10:54 AM UTC
I was a crew member on an MSSC from 9/70 to 4/71 in Boat Support Unit One. For great detail pics go to and you should be able to see the details.
The boat was approx. 36 ft long and 8 ft wide with a wedge shaped hull. Armament included an M-60 7.62mm Machine Gun on each side of the boat up at the forward section, a single .50 cal machine gun on each side at the mid section of the boat and a 7.62 mm Mini-gun from a helicopter. Also the 7 man crew carried assorted weapons of personal choice and caliber.

GMC John M. Staehle, USNR (Ret.)
vinced
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, April 12, 2010 - 07:29 PM UTC
I was an engineman on MSSC-6, also on LCPL'S with Coastal River Squadron 1.( 1972-1975). A LCPL is totally different from a MSSC.The MSSC is flat bottomed while the LCPL is a v-hull design and is totally made of fiberglass. A "PL" had a Detroit Diesel 6 cylinder engine with a v-drive power take off, and "screw" (propellor)
The MSSC was all aluminum a has two 427,4 bolt main, gasoline Chevrolet engines, with truck heads. they had twin Quadrajet carburetors and twin Jacuzzi pumps.
The MSSC was sweet as it could turn on a dime,and stop on one also!
I believe a person with fair modeling skill can made a MSSC as it was just basically a shoebox design, no frills,nothing on board but space for the SEALS.
At times we had a canopy covering the length of the crew compartment.
Nothing to it!

Diaz, Vincent, EN2
 _GOTOTOP