_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
YKM's So-Dak Replacement Turrets
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2008 - 12:11 PM UTC
Ahoy mates!

Crew-mate Jim Adams (goldenpony) gives us his thoughts and opinions of Yankee Modelworks, 1/350 scale, South Dakota Class Replacement Turrets upgrade kit in this MSW inbox review!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
fullhullfan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Friday, February 22, 2008 - 04:42 AM UTC
I've seen this kit on the Steel Navy site...looks EXACTLY like the YMW North Carolina turret kit...why is this kit..."New"

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2008 - 02:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've seen this kit on the Steel Navy site...looks EXACTLY like the YMW North Carolina turret kit...why is this kit..."New"

Dave, this a review of the kit, not a news announcement. Yankee Modelworks asked to have their product reviewed because it could be used on the new Trumpeter 1/350 USS Alabama.
Maveric
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 11:33 PM UTC
I purchased the YMW North Carolina turret set and it was horrible...flash in hard to clean/detailed ereas...2.8 to 3.4mm of material would need to be removed from main turret bottoms to get the correct hight. About the only usefull items in the entire kit was the blastbags!

If the YMW South Dakota turret set is just a copy of a NC kit. ( or one in the same )...save your money and work the Trumpeter parts!

[
Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I purchased the YMW North Carolina turret set and it was horrible...flash in hard to clean/detailed ereas...2.8 to 3.4mm of material would need to be removed from main turret bottoms to get the correct hight. About the only usefull items in the entire kit was the blastbags!

If the YMW South Dakota turret set is just a copy of a NC kit. ( or one in the same )...save your money and work the Trumpeter parts!

Ahoy, Pete (very clever username, btw...Top Gun fan? )

We could sure use a detailed review of the NC kit, to make a fair comparison of the two...would you be interested in submitting one?

~Gunny
Maveric
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 12:37 AM UTC
Better yet...here are photos of some of the NC parts!...I'm useing the box for spare parts!

Gunny
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 01:10 AM UTC
Nice images, very detailed and clear.......

Comparing your images with the recent review images of the So-Dak, the flash clean-up appears to be a bit heavier on your parts, although still some nasties are apparent on the review images as well...as far as the height differences, I'll have to take your word on it, as I don't have either of these upgrades to base a study upon....thanks again for sharing!

Cheers,
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP