_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
LCM Conversion
white4doc
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Model Shipwrights: 21 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 04:03 PM UTC
Ya know the old saying when life gives you lemons, make lemonade... After spending the better part of several evenings searching for the ramp to my Italieri LCM -- I think it might have gotten thrown away after the basement flood a couple weeks ago, I happened across a set of diagrams for an LCM converted to a Salvage and Repair craft. The well is now the second deck and given over to a workshop/equipment storage area , with three of those luxurious pipe bunks you find in berthing on World War II era ships. The main deck has the two .50 cal mounts removed, and the pilot house relocated amidships. Best of all the ramp is blanked off completely. So I guess instead of an LCM to carry my M4A2, it's going to be turned into something really different. Stay tuned to this channel for further developments, pics to follow.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 - 04:55 PM UTC
Hi John,

This sound interesting, look forward to more

Al
This post was removed.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 06:32 AM UTC
These are the diagrams I will be working from, I've managed to confirm from the 1944 source document that the LCM version used was indeed the LCM3, that nagging little voice kept saying 'ya better make sure before you start cutting up that kit...' Pre-op pics of the LCM should be able to get online tomorrow. In the meantime, just a taste to keep you coming back for more... Okay, gonna try to post them again:-)--<

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 09:47 AM UTC
Doc, looking forward to your build... something funky with the pics, I get nothing but the red Xs boxes.
This post was removed.
white4doc
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:47 AM UTC
Sorry about that. Strongly dislike those dreaded red x boxes... That being said, Let's try again...
Keep fingers crossed, pray for fair winds and following seas... Zero for two I guess. Until I manage to get them to post, the pics/diagrams in question are in their own albumn in my gallery if you don't mind schleping there for the time being. Doc has got to get scrubbed up for surgery I reckon. Now where did I put that scalpel?
jubelum
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 03:29 PM UTC
oh oh...can't wait to see it,a very interesting conversion.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 - 11:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry about that. Strongly dislike those dreaded red x boxes... That being said, Let's try again...
Keep fingers crossed, pray for fair winds and following seas... Zero for two I guess.

Here ya go, mate....

white4doc
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:12 AM UTC
Thanks, Gunny. You may have my first born... The "patient" survived its first phase of surgery last night, it was however only removal of the cabling for the ramp and some of the small fittings. Here is a link to Chapter XIII of Transport Doctrine U.S. Pacific Fleet dtd. September 1944:

linkname

It covers everything about the salvage group during amphibious operations, I found it while researching something else, completely by accident.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 12:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Gunny. You may have my first born... The "patient" survived its first phase of surgery last night, it was however only removal of the cabling for the ramp and some of the small fittings. Here is a link to Chapter XIII of Transport Doctrine U.S. Pacific Fleet dtd. September 1944:

linkname

It covers everything about the salvage group during amphibious operations, I found it while researching something else, completely by accident.

No Problem, mate...and if you have any problems posting images further, take a look HERE!

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 01:07 AM UTC
Hi John,

Thanks for the plans, looking forward to the build so please keep us infomred. Are you sure this is the correct link?

Cheers

Al
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 - 02:28 PM UTC
That's going to be a very interesting build. Looking forward to it.

later...Gator
white4doc
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 08, 2008 - 06:57 AM UTC
Not much progress to report, been dodging the flu bullet for most of the season, zigged when I should have zagged and it got me, thanks to SWMBO who works in a petri dish (aka a school). Still feel like crap, and with all the meds I am on to begin with playing with sharp edged tools is not such a good idea, so here's hoping for a better week to get going on this -- next week
 _GOTOTOP