_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Airfix Rescue Launch Conversion to Elco 70'
Hondamax
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:25 AM UTC
Hi,

Some time ago (within the last year or so) I "think" I saw an article in a UK modelling magazine where the author converted the 1/72 scale Airfix RAF Rescue Launch into a 70' Elco, I think it might have been to make PT 9. I've tried searching modelshipwrights.com (and the web, and any where I can think of) to see if I can find a reference to the magazine, but no luck ....

Having lurked here on and off, I've seen the range of knowledge present, and figured you guys might know.

So, any ideas?

Regards,

Max
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 03:16 AM UTC
Max,

People have told me that, in order to do that; you would need to insert a plug in the hull to make it into a 70 footer from the 63 foot ASRL which the kit depicts. I know of a gentleman from NYC who converted the kit into PT-10 by doing that.

Garth
maxloosli
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 06:14 AM UTC
Garth,

Thanks for the reply, the guy from NYC didn't do an article did he?

If I remember the article I'm looking for correctly (big if ....), the author extended the hull at the stern (I think) to get the 70' length. I don't think he actually widened the hull though, which I think you would need to do to keep the proportions correct.

I take it that the article doesn't ring a bell for you?

I suppose I should focus on the MASB and MGB 44 conversion articles for this kit I've got from the old Airfix magazine instead.

Regards,

Max
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 09:51 AM UTC
Max,

No to both questions sir ... but the guy who did PT-10 was Michael Vorassi or something to that effect, he's from (or was) from NYC - I haven't heard from him in close to 10 years, maybe someone here knows or knows of him ... he did widen the hull and basically scratch-built the upperworks ... snail-mailed me photos of it too, did a BEAUTIFUL job too ...........

Garth
maxloosli
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 06:53 AM UTC
Garth,

Is this him?

PT 18

Regards,

Max
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2008 - 03:40 AM UTC
Yes sir,

That is the model I was referring to .......

Why did I screw his name up, and why did I think it was the 10 boat? Darn memory. He really did a great job ....

Garth
Hondamax
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2009 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hi All,

If any one else was interested in the article I mentioned above, I've found it ....!

The article is by Michael Salzano and Frank De Sisto and was in Military Modelling Vol. 36 N0. 3 - 2006. Military Modelling is a UK modelling magazine. It describes making PT18, a 70' Elco, using the RAF Rescue Launch hull (and a lot of filler).

Regards,

Max
 _GOTOTOP