_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
My (nearly finished) Italeri PT-596
shane762
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 12:31 PM UTC
Here are a few pictures of the Italeri 1/35 PT I've been working on since shortly after the earth cooled. I used the Lion Roar detail set and Archer's markings for it. The paints are White Ensign Models and the weathering was done mostly with oil paints. I'm still tinkering with the finish on it, particularly on the deck. I may add a few more details and a figure for scale but the construction is done now. Thanks for looking.

Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 01:17 PM UTC
Very nice work Shane.
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Model Shipwrights: 93 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 01:19 PM UTC
hi shane, very nice, i like the details and weathering. even the canvass cover on the tower..did you sewed real canvass on that? looking good. thanks for sharing. ed

are there any new series of figures for the PT boat? thanks again. ed
shane762
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 01:30 PM UTC
Thanks Kenny. I forgot to mention that there's a fairly large amount of your glue on the boat. All of the details and bits and pieces are held on with Gator Glue. It's just awesomely useful stuff. The camo scheme was done with a combination of your masks and liquid masking agent. I had intended to use the numbers masks you include but ultimately I decided I would be less likely to screw up the dry transfers.
shane762
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2009 - 01:49 PM UTC
Ed,
The canvas on the tower is just the kit plastic cleaned up a bit. I made sure that the pieces were well cemented then I removed all the rope detail along the top rail and made sure to thoroughly fill the seams. I then drilled a (fairly) evenly spaced series of holes and used copper wire to represent the rope.
As for figures, I have two of the U.S. Navy U-Models figures. They look nice though I wish they were a bit more informally dressed.

This shows the canvas while I was still painting it. I used oil paint and left it with a bit of a sheen as I thought there was a chance it was rubberized.

TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 12:22 PM UTC
Sir!

THAT's VERY NICE .................

Garth

Quoted Text

Here are a few pictures of the Italeri 1/35 PT I've been working on since shortly after the earth cooled. I used the Lion Roar detail set and Archer's markings for it. The paints are White Ensign Models and the weathering was done mostly with oil paints. I'm still tinkering with the finish on it, particularly on the deck. I may add a few more details and a figure for scale but the construction is done now. Thanks for looking.

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 01:07 AM UTC
very very nice.. all the little touches and details is what made this one a winner in my eyes.

As for the life boat.. would the old revell PT 109 boat be the same tpe? I know it is "wrong" OOB, and yours is a great example to copy

How about the canvas items, would have been present at some point on the earlier PT boats?

Yes, your build gave me many ideas and inspiration to finish mine cheers and thanks for sharing!
Kitakami
Visit this Community
Guatemala
KitMaker: 30 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 02:01 AM UTC
A beautiful work of art
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 02:51 AM UTC
Yes, the Carley float and the canvas shields would be the same.

Quoted Text

very very nice.. all the little touches and details is what made this one a winner in my eyes.

As for the life boat.. would the old revell PT 109 boat be the same tpe? I know it is "wrong" OOB, and yours is a great example to copy

How about the canvas items, would have been present at some point on the earlier PT boats?

Yes, your build gave me many ideas and inspiration to finish mine cheers and thanks for sharing!

shane762
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 03:07 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Garth. Before I started this model I knew bupkis about the details on PT boats. I sort of "interpreted" the details on the Carley float as I couldn't find any really clear images showing the straps or the rack inside. I ended up having to do that a lot as the Italeri model is a nice kit but is definitely lacking detail in some areas.

shane762
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 03:17 AM UTC
Thanks for all the compliments. I had a hard time balancing the look of a well used, sun beaten but well maintained boat. Fading the paint effectively was one of the trickier parts. I found out the hard way that if you try to fade the deck green color by simply adding white to it you'll wind up with a bizarre and off-putting bright aqua shade. Next time I'll rely more on pre-shading and pre-highlighting to get the effect.
Another tricky but fun bit were the rope coils. I found various ideas on the wooden ship modelling sights but ultimately I built a jig for myself. I used white Model Shipways .40" rigging thread dyed with strong black tea. I added some staining with very thin oil paint. The only two problems I have with the result is that my seizing ropes at the loop ends look really sloppy (I'll never be a surgeon) and the hole in the center is a bit large. It's amazing how much color and life those little coils brought to the deck though.

shane762
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 03:25 AM UTC
Does anyone know what these cans are? I believe that they are ammo cans for the .50s but I'm not positive. I thought that I had seen them in "They Were Expendable" but now I can't find the scene. If someone could point me in the direction of a picture I'd be very appreciative. The piece in the photo came from the U-Model detail set PT Boat Accessories.
Thanks

JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 - 04:48 AM UTC
Garth - thanks for the info!

Shane - thanks for posting more details; they REALLY bring the ship to life... i will be copying many of them for my old 1/72 revell... I MUST try that rope technique! cheers
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 03:30 AM UTC
If you don't mind me asking?

What areas do you think it needs more details?

Quoted Text

Thanks for the info Garth. Before I started this model I knew bupkis about the details on PT boats. I sort of "interpreted" the details on the Carley float as I couldn't find any really clear images showing the straps or the rack inside. I ended up having to do that a lot as the Italeri model is a nice kit but is definitely lacking detail in some areas.

TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 02:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know what these cans are? I believe that they are ammo cans for the .50s but I'm not positive. I thought that I had seen them in "They Were Expendable" but now I can't find the scene. If someone could point me in the direction of a picture I'd be very appreciative. The piece in the photo came from the U-Model detail set PT Boat Accessories.
Thanks

Hello Shane, very nice job on your boat, beautiful paint job. Don't have a clue what those two containers are. They don't look like any ammo can that I've ever seen. The ammo belts usually came in wooden boxes, or the standard ammo cans. I don't claim any expert knowledge, but some times model companies get confused by what they are using as a reference. Italeri released a LVT-4 AMTRAC that was based on a restored post-war French example. Consequently it contained many features not used on WW2 vehicles. I'm not saying this is what may have happened in this case, just that it might be a possibility. I hope someone out there can identify those two containers. Al
shane762
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 05:15 PM UTC
Garth,
I think I was being a bit harsh towards Italeri's details. Most things they did a great job on. The .50s and for example looked fine right as they were. The Bofors was fantastic.
I do think that the roll off racks for the torpedoes could have been better. The detail was pretty basic. I thought the raft looked plain as well and I wish they hadn't molded the water cask and oars in place. The ammo lockers on the deck were rather odd. I never could figure out exactly what they were trying to represent with the strange notches in the lid. It's entirely possible that my rather meager reference library just didn't have pictures of the type they were depicting.
I modified the ones on my kit so that they looked a bit more like I thought they should.

My don't things look scruffy when you take a really close up picture though?

Even with my griping I still have to give thanks to Italeri for making a solid kit of a subject I never thought anyone could do. Any problems with it are relatively small. The basic shapes are accurate which means that anything else can be fixed with modeling skills (or the occasional aftermarket set)
shane762
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 05:28 PM UTC
Al,
That's kind of what I was afraid of. Just because I "think" I saw it somewhere doesn't make it unlikely that I've hallucinated it. I'm going to use the piece on the boat anyway because it's a nice looking detail (and not at all because they would neatly hide a blot I left on the deck. No sir.) The little cans were about the only usable bits in the U-Model set. The life preservers were absolutely beautifully sculpted but near as I can tell, don't fit anywhere on the boat. It's a shame too because I'd have loved to use them.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 06:38 AM UTC
More very nice work.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 10:46 AM UTC
Shane, by all means, use them if you want. I didn't mean to imply that you shouldn't. They may very well represent an item used on PT's during the war. I was just throwing my two cents in. I also have often used something to hide a small imperfection, or two, or three. I believe in the "Plausible Deniability" school of modeling. If I think it is plausible that something was used in a particular place or time, and there is no obvious evidence to the contrary, I'll use it. I'm not a stickler for complete accuracy, "if it looks like duck...", I don't count the feathers. Al
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 11:44 AM UTC
Oh, OK.

Well, the strange notches, ... those are what the crews put the ammo drums for the 20mm gun on - so they wouldn't need to continually open the boxes in action. A nice little idea if you ask me.

Garth

Quoted Text

Garth,
I think I was being a bit harsh towards Italeri's details. Most things they did a great job on. The .50s and for example looked fine right as they were. The Bofors was fantastic.
I do think that the roll off racks for the torpedoes could have been better. The detail was pretty basic. I thought the raft looked plain as well and I wish they hadn't molded the water cask and oars in place. The ammo lockers on the deck were rather odd. I never could figure out exactly what they were trying to represent with the strange notches in the lid. It's entirely possible that my rather meager reference library just didn't have pictures of the type they were depicting.
I modified the ones on my kit so that they looked a bit more like I thought they should.

My don't things look scruffy when you take a really close up picture though?

Even with my griping I still have to give thanks to Italeri for making a solid kit of a subject I never thought anyone could do. Any problems with it are relatively small. The basic shapes are accurate which means that anything else can be fixed with modeling skills (or the occasional aftermarket set)

shane762
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2009 - 12:54 PM UTC
Garth,
I think I'm confused (it happens often enough). The notches I meant are the ones on the front of the ammo locker lids. The top portion of the little, photo-etched latches fit into them. In the picture of my locker I've lopped off the top of the photo etched piece and filled in the notches. I did make those three trays on the lid that the 20mm magazines sit on. I thought they were sort of ready racks/winding trays so that the ammo could be kept close at hand and also fully wound. Or am I just totally not following? Thanks for the help. PT Boats were a pretty new subject to me before I started on this model.
shane762
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2009 - 03:23 PM UTC
Just a few more pictures to show you all. I've mounted the boat to the wooden base and I've affixed the data placards. Except for the sailor who I'll have standing near the rocket launcher, she's done.

I used the kit display stand because I couldn't think of an attractive, stable way to mount it to the display base. I cleaned it up and added some bolt and weld detail to it but at some point in the future I may do something different.

liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Model Shipwrights: 93 posts
Posted: Monday, July 06, 2009 - 02:43 AM UTC
hi shane, thanks for the tip on the canvas cover. it improved the details on the MG tower. on other item...the stand is perfect. you may want to paint it to compliment your nice looking boat. i did my stand with metallic finished. looks good sitting with painted stand. thanks again and cheers. ed
shane762
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 02:36 AM UTC
Ed,
The pictures of your boat were one of the reasons I finally got my butt in gear to finish mine. Really good looking PT you've got there.
The stand on mine is painted your basic battleship gray. I wanted to go with a navy color hoping that it would sort of blend in but once I bolted everything together it's just a bit too stark of a contrast. I may pull it apart and either repaint it or maybe replace it.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2009 - 04:06 AM UTC
Awesome work Shane!
 _GOTOTOP