_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Questions with converting LCVP into LCV...
luft43
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, June 29, 2009 - 10:43 AM UTC
Hi All,

I have been doing a good bit of research, (including goggling up the wa-zoo, internet searches, and some books I have), into converting the Italeri LCVP kit into the LCV type boat.
I have found that essentially, with a few exceptions, this should be an easy conversion.
I need to remove the gun tubs, build the conning/helm station, and reconfigure the stern transom maybe, change the front ramp a little, and some engine area modifications.

The two main problems I am having are:

A) With some dimensions and configuration for the conning/helm station:
(I could probably guess from the photos and line drawing I have found, but I wanted to be a little more accurate).
B) With the transom area:
(In some photo’s of the LCV, it shows a rounded transom and in other photo’s it shows a straighter/ pointed type as with most LCVP’s).

The questions:

1) Would any of you have clear close up/in pictures of the conning/helm station, and/or dimensions for the same?
And
2) Would any of you have information on the story behind the round type, and the straight/pointed type transom construction for the LCV?

As an added note, other boat yards were licensed by Higgins’s Co. to make LCV’s (?) and LCVP’s.
The only other company I’ve been able find so far is the Chris-Craft Co., (very little info so far on C-C).

3) Do any of you have any leads on other companies that made Higgins type landing craft under license?

Thanks to all in advance,

Paul S.
luft43
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 18 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2009 - 08:36 AM UTC
Hi All,

When I was looking for info for another project, I came upon a page that lists companies that made LCV’s, question 3 in my questions post above, a very useful site…

http://shipbuildinghistory.com/history/statistics/wwiilandingcraft.htm

One question down, two to go...

Paul S.
 _GOTOTOP