_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
1/35th PACV from The Vietnam War
dobon68
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 392 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 08:07 AM UTC
I'm in the process of building Masterpiece Models 1/35th PACV, as you can see from the photos below I'm progressing well but I'm at the stage where I need to paint the interior of the cabin. Does anyone know what colour the interior would be? Is it the same green as the exterior or another colour?
I have found a few photos on the web but they are all exterior shots and I can't tell the interior colour from them.
Any help will be greatly received.
David

Progress shots

And hopefully what it will look like when I'm finished.

TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 11:33 AM UTC
That's incredible ............

Is that kit still available and, if so? How much moolah?

Garth
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Model Shipwrights: 20 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 02:15 PM UTC
my google-fu yields

http://www.masterpiecemodels.com/for_sale/sale_military.htm
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2009 - 02:28 PM UTC
Working link.

http://www.masterpiecemodels.com/for_sale/sale_military.htm
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 12:38 AM UTC
Well, that is a very unique looking kit. As for the interior color I would say it would be the same as other Vietnam era tanks and amtracks. You night also look at the interior of a Huey as well to get some reference for color and general "used" look.

Looking forward to your progress!

TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 01:23 AM UTC
$170?

Um, can I say ...

Thanks but no thanks? HA HA.

Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That'sa alot of cabbage!
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 04:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

$170?

Um, can I say ...

Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That'sa alot of cabbage!

At 8 lbs of resin, that's 'only' $22 per pound..
Looks like that whole lower hull hull must be one solid bit.

I'm saving up beer money for mine, it is going to be a looonnng dry 2 weeks. -grin-

M
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 04:17 AM UTC
David,
I forgot to ask, does the kit provide clear material for the windows or materials for the main cabin windscreen wipers?

Mike
tigermeet
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 04:46 AM UTC
The interior is off white, similar to all tanks and riverine craft interiors of the time.

I am currently working on the Tango with an academy helicopter but think i may take a quick break to play with the PACVEE as yours looks good, and there really arn't that many parts.

Price is not bad, i paid $147.00 here in the states with shipping when they had a sale, itr's the only game in town, I am a good modeler but not good enough to scratch one of these- and in the ealry 70's in New york some one did just that at ACE Hobbies in Manahatten, that image has stuck with me for quire some time and so this was a great chance to fulfill a dream to have one but without the effort to scratch one !!!

George from California
tigermeet
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 04:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

David,
I forgot to ask, does the kit provide clear material for the windows or materials for the main cabin windscreen wipers?

Mike

No, that is the one "odd" thing about it....
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 06:40 AM UTC
That's one more reason to return to work ASAP!

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

$170?

Um, can I say ...

At 8 lbs of resin, that's 'only' $22 per pound..
Looks like that whole lower hull hull must be one solid bit.

I'm saving up beer money for mine, it is going to be a looonnng dry 2 weeks. -grin-

M

dobon68
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2009 - 10:15 AM UTC
Thanks for all the interest guys and the suggestions.
Masterpiece models do sometimes have a discount coupon on their site, when I got this kit it was with 20% off.

Mike it doesn't come with clear windows or wiper blades and the interior is pretty basic, but it is the only game in town as they say. Getting the windows glazed won't be a problem and I'm still thinking of how I'm going to do the wiper blades but I don't think it will be too much of a problem even to scratch them.

Geo thanks for the info I will go with an off white or light grey interior.

I will try and post updates as I go along, just bare with me as my two year twin sons take up a lot of what would be my modeling time
Cheers
David
dobon68
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 12:17 AM UTC
I have been in contact with Roy Adair who was an OiC on the PACV during their first tour in Vietnam, I asked him some questions about the cabin layout and he very kindly answered them for me below is his reply.
I have posted this to help anyone else who maybe working on this model.

David - It is my pleasure to do what I can to help you with your project. A little background first. The US Navy had three PACV's for use in Vietnam. They were originally deployed in 1966 and I was a PACV OinC with that unit. At the end our our deployment in December 1966, all three craft and all the personnel were returned to the US. The craft were overhauled and modified and new crews were trained and subsequently redeployed to Vietnam for approximately two more years. From viewing the pictures of the model that you sent, it is the modified, later version that I just mentioned, not the one that I operated. The real giveaway is the deck planks on the exterior upper surface of the hull that allows people to more easily move about when outside the cabin. Another difference is that of the "puff port" located on the port and starboard sides of the hull...these were meant to allow air from inside the cushion to escape under the operator's control to help maneuver the craft at slow speeds. But now I will answer your questions in order:
1. The interior was the color gray
2. The "pilot" (not really a pilot, as that infers aircraft) or operator sits in the right seat and the radar operator/navigator sits in the left seat, looking forward. The picture of your model shows the radar scope on the right, which is incorrect.
3. The normal crew was 4: OiC, nav/radar, engineer, and gunner. Sometimes we would have an additional crewmember such as an assistant gunner or line handler. We could take maybe 2 or 3 passengers inside the cabin, but we did not have the passenger seats that are shown in your model, so passengers would just have to stand. Toward the end of our deployment we operated with US and Vietnamese Special Forces and each of the craft would be assigned a Vietnamese rifle squad. These personnel would ride on the exterior walkway, close up alongside the engine nacelle, and hang onto a handrail. This was before the extended deck were installed as you have on your model.
4. We did not have the helicopter style helmets. As I recall, only the gunner wore a helmet when manning the twin 50 in the turret, but it was just a regular helmet. I think I've seen pictures of the later crews wearing the helicopter style helmets, however. We all wore flak jackets.
5. As for the interior, I already mentioned that the radar should be moved to the left side and the instrument panel to the right. In the version that you have, the passenger seats are probably okay. In the center of the cabin, below the turret, there should be a stand for the gunner. I also see that you have a couple of M-60 machine guns and they would be mounted in the middle windows on both sides of the cabin. In our version of the craft, we had a table at the back of the cabin that ran the full width. The radio was mounted on the table and it also provided room for our nav charts and other paper work.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 02:33 AM UTC
RE; wipers

I was poking around in Hobby Link Japan the other day and came across some product where the 'customers also bought' images at the bottom of the page showed 1/24th scare model car photo etched wiper sets.

I'll have to do a little more digging and sizing, but for my build (planning already and I don't even have the kit yet) I'm thinking I'm going that way.

Mike
dobon68
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 22, 2009 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

RE; wipers

I was poking around in Hobby Link Japan the other day and came across some product where the 'customers also bought' images at the bottom of the page showed 1/24th scare model car photo etched wiper sets.

I'll have to do a little more digging and sizing, but for my build (planning already and I don't even have the kit yet) I'm thinking I'm going that way.

Mike

Mike,
I had a look around as well and came across this site Tameo Kits if you look at FT06 Compasses wiper type “C” they seem to fit the bill apart from the arm may be a bit too long and need trimming down?
David
 _GOTOTOP