_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
nagato / mutsu question
vladski
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 06:01 AM UTC
Hi all

Naval modelling is a new area for me and something I know very little about, but always up for a testing challenge my first kit methinks is going to be the Mutsu!

My question is this, the nagato and mutsu were sister ships, does this imply that they were identical in all aspects or just kinda similar?

The reasoning behind my question is regarding aftermarket, lion roar do a set for the nagato but I am struggling for the mutsu.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Vlad
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 06:35 AM UTC
Very few ships, even sister ships, are identical to one another. Even when built there are subtle differences, which become more pronounced over time as changes are made to the ships at different times. Some items, like railings, hose reels, doors and hatches, should be the same on both ships. Items like radar, anti-aircraft guns, boats, etc., might be added or removed at different times so they may not be the same between the ships. Your best bet is to get as much reference sources as you can.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 09:03 AM UTC
Rodger is absolutly correct. I don't know which Mutsu kit you are buying or the scale. The changes made to both ships during the war makes them radically different from beginning to end. Research the ship there are several great references. Call up some of the model retailer shops online like Squadron and Great Models and in your search there just put in Nagato or Mutsu and see what comes up.Figure out which configuration (1941 - 1945) and see what is available in PE Some of the manufacturers make specific PE sets to go with the kit so check that out as well. Ive got the 350 Nagato by Hasegawa and I bought the specific Hasegawa sets to go with it
vladski
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 03, 2009 - 10:41 PM UTC
Rodger and Steve

Many thanks for popping in to help out on this one, the kit I am looking at is the Hasegawa release in 1/350, I'm a sucker for large complicated builds. Also the controversy over her sinking appeals too!

I have scoured the web for after market and there seems to be very little, which is what prompted the question if she was a similar build to the nagato.

There does appear from what I have read to be an issue regarding the AA flak guns in the kit, they weren't fitted or something? for the time this kit is supposed to represent, and the hull has a slight discrepancy with its shape or the plate positions, is this something you would have any info on?

_GOTOTOP