_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
PT 658
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 08:24 AM UTC
Hi Everyone

One of the Board Members Patrick (call sign pagodaphile) dropped by the news desk with some superb photos of PT-658, newly restored and under way.

The occasion was in June 2009 on the Columbia River near Portland, Oregon.

From the photos you can see the retired Navy crew members offering a hand salute to the DDG USS Shoup, en-route to Portland.

One of the crew advised that they had the boat up to 45 knots at the time the photos were taken.

Ship History

Motor Torpedo Boat PT-658 is a Higgins design PT boat, similar in function but slightly different in design and layout from the more common Elco boats.

The 78 foot Higgins PT Boat, the USS PT-658 has been completely restored to its original 1945 configuration during the years 1995 to 2005. PT-658 is now fully functional and afloat. It is the only 100% authentically restored US Navy PT Boat that is operational today in the world. The USS PT-658 is located in Portland, Oregon at the Swan Island Naval Reserve Center Pier.

She is afloat and has 3 working 1,850 hp Packard Model 5M-2500 V12 gasoline engines. A dedicated group of PT Boat veterans formed the organization Save the PT Boat, Inc.,[1] and then restored the boat, to include a full armament of 4 Mark 13 Torpedoes, 2 twin .50 caliber Browning M2 machine guns, a 40 mm Bofors cannon, two 20 mm Oerlikon cannons, and 2 Mark 6 300 pound TNT depth charges.
While the restoration is essentially complete, the boat is open to the public on Mondays and Thursdays most every week when the crew is there restoring the boat. The boat has now been moved into the new boathouse (as of July 2008) and the group continues trying to raise money for ongoing projects such as deck replacement, charthouse repair, and interior detailing. Money is also needed for final boathouse improvements and to build a PT Boat Museum.

The website for PT -658 is http://www.savetheptboatinc.com/

Ships History Courtesy of Wikipedia

Special thanks to Patrick for sharing these superb images.

Cheers

Sean
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 22, 2009 - 12:05 PM UTC
Cool, a HIGGINS PT boat! The WW2 Museum in New Orleans is restoring one also.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 05:36 AM UTC
It has Packard engines in it too, not CAT diesels. She hit a log underway and almost sank at her dock a few months ago. I don't know if she's been totally repaired yet. Too bad she's in Oregon, I'd LOVE to take a ride on her.

Alex Johnson got to go out on her and even had a time at the wheel.

Garth
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 46 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 05:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

It has Packard engines in it too, not CAT diesels. She hit a log underway and almost sank at her dock a few months ago. I don't know if she's been totally repaired yet. Too bad she's in Oregon, I'd LOVE to take a ride on her.
Garth

Actually by coincidence, the accident you mention happened only about an hour after I took these photos from the deck of the Shoup. The Coast Guard and a damage control detail from the Shoup helped out with pumps and a temporary patch. (strange how things like logs can surface when you get it up to 45 knots ! )

Stand By !.........Aside from the PT-658 restoration, an LCS(L) (round bridge) is being restored with hopes of a combined museum * venue to be included with the CV USS Ranger when she arrives in Portland................................... *(http://www.ussranger.org/home)
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 07:52 AM UTC
I don't suppose she's back operational now, or will they wait til Spring?
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 46 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 06:42 PM UTC
The last I heard was that she was out of the water with repairs under way, however that was a few months ago. I am pretty sure this will probably represent a strain to the restoration budget, funding sources for something like this being what they are these days. No doubt the deck replacement will be delayed now as well.
Weather conditions permitting, I'll try to sneak down there for a " what's up" ? When I find something out I'll post an update back here on this thread.......

.Happy New Year
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2010 - 03:02 AM UTC
Yeah, .. sure. Please keep us informed on that progess. Tell me, when she went you, how did those Packards sound? Thundering?
 _GOTOTOP