_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Airfix Vosper MTB Super Detail
jkzook
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 17 posts
Model Shipwrights: 13 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 - 12:29 PM UTC
Good evening holiday shoppers.
I have a question for those of you who have an interest in MTB's. Has anyone attempted to super detail an Airfix Vosper? I noticed most builders pretty much build out of the box, enhancing the model with great finishes and weathering. I ask because I noticed in photos a lot of detail is simplified on the model, such as the torpedo loading skids/cradles which are represented by solid moldings. I'm guessing one would have to obtain plans from a source such as John Lambert to do the job.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 04:01 AM UTC
GREAT LITTLE SHIPS from England has some things like the torpedo tubes, and you can use their .303 guns and Holman Projector too but he doesn't have any DEDICATED items for that kit ... YET ......... Although he does say they're in the pipeline ....... check for availaibility too ... but his things are rather pricey though, but worth it.

I just had my Airfix Vosper redone, and I had my guy use GLS' .303s and the Holman Projector and they improved the model's appearance quite a bit ... my guy also used a twin 20mm and a single .50 on it from Nautilus Models and both of those items are VAST IMPROVEMENTS over those from the kit.

Garth
jkzook
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 07:22 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply, Garth. I found those items you mentioned at Great Little Ships. I see their proposed PE for MTB's. I think I will stop working on my MTB until those are up for sale. I do so much scratch building that using PE is a break for me. As far building OOB, I just never seem to be able to do it. Thanks again
Jim
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 24, 2009 - 09:02 AM UTC
Jim ...

I wouldn't stop work on it to wait on them .......... the things he says are in the pipeline have been slated as TBA for nearly a decade ........ so, don't wait around. From what I have seen from their .303s and the Holman Projector, if I were you, I'd get four of the torpedo tubes ...

I know of another after-market company that MIGHT do stuff for that kit. But, until they are ready, I don't feel comfortable saying who. Let me talk with them about stuff for that kit, OK? But, give me a "wish list" of stuff, OK?

You could email me at [email protected].

Garth
jkzook
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2009 - 07:51 AM UTC
Garth,
I'll gather all my reference photos, the kit and instructions and see what kind of wish list I can put together. I will also use WEM's and Eduards S-100 PE's as guides. When done I'll E-mail the list to you.
Merry Christmas
Jim
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, December 26, 2009 - 02:11 AM UTC
I'm thinking ...

The torpedo tubes
The cockpit details
The various radar arrays
Exhaust details
Back-up steerage details
The Bandstand railings
The Anchor

Anything else?
jkzook
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2009 - 03:18 PM UTC
Garth
Sorry I didn't respond right away, been busy with company.
The torpedo skids could be PE. Details for the weapons: sights, 20mm and .303 ammo drum covers, gun mount details, 20 mm shields and brackets.
Hatch or locker details-hinges, handles could be done
I'm sure there could be more. I would probably have to get a good set of John Lambert's plans to compare with the model to be more specific. Plus I don't have many good images of 73 footers to pick out details.
Jim
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 06:23 AM UTC
Jim,

I've added them to my list ...

Those were good suggestions .................
jkzook
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 - 02:35 PM UTC
Thanks, Garth, I can wait awhile. I'm thinking of doing a little P.E. myself. I like to scratch build and like to resin cast parts so trying P.E. may be the next logical step to COMPLETE mastery over my models. Oh, and I still have to build my Vac-u-form machine. Plenty of scratch build projects waiting for that one, too.
Happy New Year!
Jim
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 31, 2009 - 02:28 AM UTC
Jim,

Please contact me offsite at [email protected], please? Thanks.

Garth
 _GOTOTOP