_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Colours for Russian MTBs
McIvan
Visit this Community
New Zealand
KitMaker: 64 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4 posts
Posted: Monday, February 08, 2010 - 10:12 AM UTC
Hi....now I don't do much in the realm of ships, but I do have a Revell 1/72 Vosper MTB, which I had an enjoyable time glueing together.

It comes time to paint the beast, and because I hear the instructions in that regard are a bit suspect I looked around on the net. I may have been better off in blissful ignorance, because what I found was that Revell in fact modelled a type of MTB that was given to the Russians, and not one that Great Britian fielded herself.

So um. After thinking about it for a while, I am now quite taken with the idea of painting it as a Russian ship; and maybe in the future getting the Airfix MTB for a Brit one. But my question is: does anyone know what colours the Russian boats were painted in? Flags...markings?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it is best guesses.

Regards
Ivan McIntosh
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 03:25 AM UTC
I've been told that, and photos verify this as well, that the US built Vospers followed the British RN schemes for MTBs.

As for the flag? I'm not too sure what flag they flew. Was it the red Hammer and Sickle national flag or did they fly the white naval flag?

Markings? What do you mean? The numbers? I believe they used the Russian style numbers ...

If you will email me offsite at [email protected], I can give you the email address of a gentleman who has photos of Russian MTBs.

Garth
McIvan
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 07:55 AM UTC
Ah well, that leads on to what the RN scheme is, but I can probably tease that out of the net.

Marking...yes, numbers...a star maybe? I had no idea. The flag I suspect is the white naval flag, but again was seeking guidance.

Will drop you a line...cheers!

Regards
Ivan
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 11:46 AM UTC
Ah, well, ...

In that case; that you want to know what the RN schemes were, I'd suggest that you contact John Lambert at his www.lambert-plans.com website or contact John Snyder at White Ensign Models.

There is an 'article' written by John Lambert on www.ptboatworld.com, in the camouflage section that may be helpful ....

Garth
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 09, 2010 - 03:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've been told that, and photos verify this as well, that the US built Vospers followed the British RN schemes for MTBs.

Given the wide range of RN schemes for coastal forces types, this tells us nothing. Perhaps you can upload an example from the photos you cite?

Al Ross
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 03:47 AM UTC
If I was confident enough as to how I would post photos in my posts, I would do that Mr. Ross. But, I'm more than confident that the source I provided him offsite will provide him with enough photos to help this gentleman ...
McIvan
Visit this Community
New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 08:27 AM UTC
My thanks to Garth, who has gone to the trouble of putting me in touch with an expert on the question and has been extremely helpful in general. I'm not at all sure a black and white photo would have added much to the debate.

I also have a Russian wargamer contact who has pulled up a bit of assistance, so it looks like we're making some progress.

I'll post some colour details when I have them sorted.
 _GOTOTOP