_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
slowing getting that Ting
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 08:45 PM UTC
Ever since I saw one of these 1800 Chinese battleships in 1-700, I thought I'd like one, now Bronco produce 2 the Ting and Chen Yuen in 1-350, and as you can see, I still have a fair way to go, but slowing getting there.
Ting 001
Ting 002
Ting 003
While without doubt these two sister ships I believe were a mistake due to their almost identical likeness and Bronco perhaps would have been better off introducing a cruiser instead of a sister ship, there is still the build option of building either in 1885 or 1894 version - at the moment I am seriously thinking of buying another just to build the other version.
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 12, 2010 - 10:46 PM UTC
WARNING ! when I ordered this model, I also wanted the ratlines that run either side of both mast, these are from Atlantic Models, and ratlines for sailing ships in 1/350 - 1/400 scales, these maybe perfect for said ship, for the Ting Yuen this is a waste of £9.00 as they are half the size short. To use these, I'm having to cut two to make one long enough to stretch from the deck to the crowsnest, the distance on the aft mast is even greater.
the biggest ratline is a maximum of 50mm, distance required for aft mast of the Ting Yuen is 64mm, and please remember there is ''only'' one pair of these 50mm ratlines as the others are shorter.
Please be advised.
ting 2 001
ting 2 001
With more skill then I obviously require, I dare say you could marry up two parts of 2 paire of ratlines.
ting 2 003
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 03:36 AM UTC
"Slowly getting that Ting" ? You seem to be in full gallop Alec !
The Ting looks beautiful ! How was the fit during the build so far?
Cheers,
Julian
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 08:04 AM UTC
There is very little to go wrong, this is a beautiful kit and my only moan would be those super tall mast forward and aft, due to their size I found it best to build these off site as it were. The photoetch was (so far) spot on, again only the 3 wheel steering thingy was somewhat of a ***** to put together, in hind sight I should have built this on a small piece of card, painted it then glued it into postion, the ratlines should have come with the kit that is the only real bad thing about this kit.
At the moment I'm still building, so not quite finished yet, this kit could have been a lot better in regard to PE and those main guns, what they were thinking when they produced the stand, that's anyone's guess, one movement and that's your model on the floor, it honestly would be best to design a stand by yourself, one that you can't so easily knock the model off.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 13, 2010 - 11:12 AM UTC
Looks great so far Al.
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 02:05 AM UTC
Ting Yuen 001
From start to finish this was 5 days, it might seem quick, but you'll have to stop and consider I spent 5 to 7 hours a day on this, I'll come home from work and finally go to bed early hours of the morning.
I've sent Gunny quite a few photo's so maybe in the near future he'll show them on the gallery.
Ting 3 004
Ting 3 016
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 06:09 AM UTC
A beautiful build Alec, amazing how fast you finished her ! Your question had me searching the 'net for the Chen and I am considering modeling the ship after being captured by the Japanese in a grey paint scheme, (the link I posted).
Julian
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 10:51 AM UTC
chenyuanmpl5248
Hello Juilan - there is very little concerning the Ting Yuen after be captured by the Japinese, the above photo I believe is the only photo I have seen, and here there appears to be 2 battleships of the same class, not very clear and I would love to see this, and other photo's or drawings of her, or sister ship, as you know the battleship's were built in Germany and the cruiser here in England, the strange thing that keeps going through my mind is, the Ting and Chen Yuen were considered one of the most advanced battleship of its time, I often wonder in the world of ''what if'' Germany continued to build for herself would she have become the world's number 1 navy especially with such a ship as the Ting Yuen.
 _GOTOTOP