_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Recommendations for the 1/35 Schnellboot?
vonMarshall
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 192 posts
Model Shipwrights: 7 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 12, 2010 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hello all

I have just jumped across from the Armorama forum where I have been enjoying the chat as I tackle my 1/16th Tamiya King Tiger. I have learnt a lot from the fantastic modellers there and have found the advice invaluable.

I am coming close to completion and my attention has switched to what to do next. I like big models and enjoy tackling a lengthy project (the KT must have taken 2 years so far!).

To be honest I never really thought about boats but then I stumbled onto some photos of Arjen's S-100 and found my way to this forum.... and now I am hooked!

Reading through the thread it becaem apparent that the members on here are just as friendly, knowledgeable and helpful as those I found in the heavy metal group, if not more so, and the quality of your work has left me inspired.

So I have decided to take the plunge and go for the Italieri 1/35 Schnellboot. I find the research stage of a build as interesting as the actual build so I would like to pick your brains if possible.

What I would like to know is:

What books do you recommend for decent photographs of the original boats?
What books do you recommend for some history of the theatres they operated in?
What books do you recommend aimed at the modeller of these boats?

Next up is preparing for a bit of detailing. I see that Eduard and Lion Roar both offer Etch packages but the prices of the Lion Roar seem much higher. Can you tell me which you recommend and why?

I see that Cammets provide some wonderful resin parts which seems a no brainer, but when it comes to gun barrels for the flak guns, there is are several options. Again which would you recommend.

Finally, for those that have built these beauties, what would you say are the 3 main problems that need attention and your top 3 tips for building. Particularly is there something that should be built out of order fro the instructions, tweaks to be made that you wish you had made before sticking it all together, or any other things worth noting.

As a guide, I am a LAR modeller... Looks About Right, rather than a rivet counter.

I look forward to your thoughts.

thanks
Noel
 _GOTOTOP