_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
My USS Arizona arrived.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 08:08 AM UTC
My 1/200 scale USS Arizona arrived today.
Been going over the instructions and sprue's.

Believe me, I'm no expert on the Arizona, but to me the kits looks good, and comes well packed against breakage. The photo etched is thicker than most, so hopefully will stand up to my ham fists.

This size will certainly not only take up a lot of room, but should look impressive right out of the box. (I'll have to actually put up a special shelf for it, just to start work on it, and display it when finished).

I'm sure those that know more than me about the ship will be pointing any inaccuracies, large and small, as more make their way to new homes.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 11:28 AM UTC
That's encouraging news! Mine is on its way over as well.

--Karl
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 06:33 PM UTC
I did an unboxing of mine:
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=62452
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 06:39 PM UTC
Nice unboxing ! That is a huge model. I can't see myself smuggling this model into the house without mrs. gremlin56 catching onto this purchase..................
cheers,
Julian
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 06, 2010 - 06:45 PM UTC
Thanks for the link, and the photos Tracy, saved me the work of doing them tomorrow. I'm now waiting on my pre-order of the additional Trumpeter up-grade set.
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 - 12:53 PM UTC
I haven't had much time since then, but I did manage to confirm that the props are the wrong shape; they should be more rounded at the tips. Sounds like an opportunity....
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 08:04 AM UTC
My Arizona arrived minutes ago. As an exclusively large-scale modeler, I can only say AWESOME! Trumpy's taken full advantage of the detail potential of this very large scale and this kit will spoil all ship modelers. I have heard about issues with certain part shapes and such, but when you have signal flag bags with the interior partitions already molded, why quibble?

Trumpy has also corrected some of the issues carried over from copying the classic Arizona kit like having the casemate sides molded with correct openings instead of making the 5"-51's stubby cylinders with a barrel sticking out the side.

Although 3-D crew figures are provided, there are not enough to even make a dent on a battleship. Has anyone heard if they'll sell more separately like they did with the carrier planes?

Apart from separate moldings for the fore & aft deck extremities which will cause awkward transverse seams, the basic engineering of this kit will build into a nice miniature of the famed battleship.

--Karl
Ascaria
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
KitMaker: 253 posts
Model Shipwrights: 141 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 2010 - 08:22 AM UTC
My Arizona has arrived too... almost perfect, of course I am not very fluent with all pros & cons concerning painting and other smaller & bigger issues of this ship, but this kit is awsome !!
 _GOTOTOP