_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Somewhat different angle
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 01:17 AM UTC
While everyone takes the helicopter view of their models, taking different angles that would be impossible in the real world without an helicopter, and I am guilty more then most, I thought I'd a little question by everyone and see what comes up. An angle taken from the view of a person looking, or seeing across a dockyard, of course the view could be across any subject, while there is an obvious problem in keeping the main subject in clear view, there is a major tendency for this to blur from sight. This is a somewhat crazy idea, and I have used my Nippon Maru as a subject matter for this photo shoot.
The angles are taken either from the ship, or land, never in mid-air. Let me know what you think.
nip 0 009
nip 0 003
nip 0 004
And dare I say, the normal type of photo I take as if flying through the air.
nippon maru 013
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 04:56 AM UTC
Alec I must say I like both of the veiws you portray with the camera angles you use while the birds eye view shows the bigger picture overall the persons or lower angle view shows a lot more detail. I,ve not tryed this type of photogrphy before but will certainly be giving it a go in future thanks and nice one
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 08:59 AM UTC
Good points on viewing angles, Alec. One I'd like to crack is the 'fish-eye-view' where the POV is right on the water's surface looking up at the model.

--Karl
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 09:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Good points on viewing angles, Alec. One I'd like to crack is the 'fish-eye-view' where the POV is right on the water's surface looking up at the model.

--Karl

Now I feel we're cooking on gas, this has nothing to really do with backdrops, more a persons view from where he/she is standing, small boat angle looking up into the superstructure sort of thing, peering through a row of buildings onto a ship coming into the harbour and so on. This is somewhat new, and totally untried, so its also somewhat strange.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 04, 2010 - 10:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

--Karl

Now I feel we're cooking on gas, this has nothing to really do with backdrops, more a persons view from where he/she is standing, small boat angle looking up into the superstructure sort of thing, peering through a row of buildings onto a ship coming into the harbour and so on. This is somewhat new, and totally untried, so its also somewhat strange.

Perhaps a tiny camera like the ones they used to call "lipstick" cameras can provide those perspectives. Imagine getting a shot of an open gundeck on a WW II battleship or looking up at a carrier's island from the flight deck...

I wonder if cell phone cameras are small enough?

--Karl
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 05, 2010 - 10:34 PM UTC
Nice angles Alec, the only thing that worries me with that is getting my lumbering great camera that close to my models without totally wrecking them. You are braver man than I.

Si
 _GOTOTOP