_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
First Look! Trump's 1/200 Arizona
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, December 10, 2010 - 01:34 PM UTC
Julian Sallows (Gremlin56) gives us a "first look" at this new monster sized kit from Trumpeter Models!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 01:08 AM UTC
That certainly is a great looking it and a monster.

CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 06:49 AM UTC
What an amusing and well-written review! I have two of those beauties now and I must say that Julian's observations are spot-on.

Being a devotee of large modeling projects (including a 1:48 aircraft carrier), the kit's size did not faze me, though I must say there is little advantage in 1:200 captial ships over 1:350 ones, especially for dioramas.

Julian, I am working on the Dragon Independence CVL and I hope you will have the opportunity to finally get one just so we can read your review!

--Karl
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 07:16 AM UTC
Thank you very much Karl, you actually bought two Arizonas? I have the Dragon Independence and I will get around to doing a review but it will probably be after Christmas.
Cheers,
Julian
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 11, 2010 - 08:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...you actually bought two Arizonas? I have the Dragon Independence and I will get around to doing a review but it will probably be after Christmas.
Cheers,
Julian

Yep. One will serve for the Arizona/Pennsylvania, the other kit's superstructure will be the starting point for a Nevada/Oklahoma (it's easier to scratchbuild the hull than to convert the kit's) and there will be a special surprise for what I'll do with the remaining hull of the second....

The CVL kit is a blast, so far, so you should enjoy the build.

--Karl
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 08:42 AM UTC
Well, that review sucked me right in and I just ordered one from Luckymodel for just $145 plus postage... Bit of a bargain I thought...

Now lets see.. that ship stash is growing fast.. I think they might be breeding!!

Hasegawa Akagi and Gambier Bay and all the upgrades for both.
Aoshima Kono and a heavy cruise I can't recall the name of..
Revell Tirpitz and Bismarck
Dragon Scharnhorst, Independence and three or four US destroyers.
Trumpeter Nimitz, Ticonderoga, Hornet, Yorktown, Saratoga, North Carolina, Alabama, Richielieu, Hood etc etc.

Don't know where I think I am going to get the time to build all these ships. But I will try.
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, December 15, 2010 - 05:45 PM UTC
Think you have the same problem I have: as long as you live to the ripe old age of 120 years you can clear out your stash. Mind you, you have to stop buying new models now
Julian
PS you won't regret ordering the Arizona but do get the upgrade and barrel set as well
dman57
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 61 posts
Model Shipwrights: 16 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 01, 2011 - 07:55 AM UTC
My wife gave me the ultimate Arizona gift for Christmas, she ordered a US Flag to be flown over the Arizona Memorial wreck on 7 Dec 10, and included in the package with the flag was a certified certificate of the flag raising with my military rank (Sgt) and my dates of service in the US Army and Air Force (1973-1980). Then on 26 Dec a friend of mine gave me the Trumpeter 1:200 Arizona kit...mso what a Christmas this was!!!!
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 07:36 AM UTC
Sounds like à very memorable Christmas.
Cheers,
Julian
 _GOTOTOP