_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
Doug Hallets 1/350 Yamato build
Budgie
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Model Shipwrights: 162 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 10:17 PM UTC
Another shot of the break water from the rear. The two wing pieces near the edges were clipped from the original kit.
[url=[/url]
Budgie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 10:20 PM UTC
Barbets for both the stern AA guns and the rear 18" gun are added. The AA parts were borrowed from the open deck mounts in the original kit, which are of course highly inaccurate for their former location, but work well for their new location. [url=[/url]
Budgie
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 10:23 PM UTC
The mid-ship deck AA turret barbettes, cut from the original kit, which required a lot of sanding from below to get rid of the thick deck plastic. [url=[/url]
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 03:28 PM UTC
Wow Doug!

Really going to town!

Removed by original poster on 08/10/15 - 23:18:31 (GMT).
Budgie
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 - 04:20 AM UTC
Thanks Russell, Here's some work on the main 18" turrets. The other two are similar to this one. Almost all surface detail was sanded of the turrets, including the steps going up over the roof. These were replaced with small segments of .010 rectangular rod. The small object with the wire leading into it is an exercise gun aiming device. The old tool only has one shown, but Super Illustrated shows one on each turret, even on the final configuration (the new tooling doesn't show it at all). In most cases, I'm going with Super Illustrated as my ultimate authority. I made the cable with a piece of thin brass wire, angled in several directions. I have added the bolts holding the blast bags, plus one blast bag itself. The other bags will be added after I glue on the ladder leading up the front of the turret face, but I need finer tweezers before I attempt that. Have also added the telescopes for the range finders from the White Ensign set. They are the only ones to have provided this part, which is already included on the new tooling. It should be recessed inside the turret wings, but that is an effort I've decided is not worth the trouble to portray. [url=
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, August 10, 2015 - 06:56 AM UTC
Doug,

Incredible work and attention to detail. Very impressive. Very nice

Dave
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany