Topics on building dioramas are grouped here
M.A.S. 568 4a Serie
Bondoman
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 31, 2012 - 07:23 PM UTC
This project has caught my attention. I am inspired to do the in hull project as well, maybe more than topsides.

The initial interest is in the engines. There's not a lot of info on the Isotta-Fraschini ASM 183 on line. I'll leave it to you all to wiki etc. it up, but a day of research tells me they were a W design, three banks of 6 cylinders each at 45 degrees apart. 57 liters, rated at 1100 hp. The Swedish boat has them, as did the 60 ft. Vosper. Normal aspiration.

Building those will be the first task. There's nothing out there that I can find as it's an aero engine design and 1/35 is not a wing scale. They will have to be scratch built.

The gear reduction systems will be next. That will take a lot more research. But since it is obvious they will be built from scratch, a few good photos will do it.

Following will be the frames and stringers, and the framing of the overheads. The kit hasn't arrived yet, so it might not be feasible, but I'd like to set up the deck to be removable.

Bill
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hi Bill,

I'll look forward to that, if you fill it up completely then no reason why it can't be displayed in 2 parts or if you have the courage cut out along one side to expose the innards that would also serve both purposes.

Enjoy the build.

Hi Al,

Sorry, missed your reply

Alan
Bondoman
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 01, 2012 - 06:35 PM UTC
The aero version would seem to be the Isotta Asso (Ace) 1000.
Same number of cylinders, displacement and shaft power w/o turbo, 50% more as here.

I have not tracked down drawings yet, but I will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvTL8KFSnuQ
Really too bad that without the cooling system and a load, we cannot see it go to 2000 rpm chat. This one has a turbo, do not think the MAS boats did. More soon.
EDIT: OK ground already covered here and elsewhere, I apologize for that as this is a new subject for me.
Clearly though, the engine room with two big 18 cylinder triple bank petrol engines.... have to model it!
emilybo
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 10:01 PM UTC
Hi al. Not to sure if this blog is still on going... I am new to the world of MTB's and have just started the Vosper 72.6 and there is the MAS in my xmas stocking (I know that as I've just ordered it)Any way nice build you have there. My question is where did you find those engines? I have been scouring the net for them but to no avail can you help please
Steve
 _GOTOTOP