General Ship Modeling: Painting & Color Schemes
Topics on painting and paint schemes are grouped here
Modern haze gray
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 06:20 AM UTC
What is a good color for US modern haze gray?
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2011 - 03:46 PM UTC
Probably the most ubiquitous is Model Masters Neutral Gray FS36270

White Ensign also has a matched Haze Gray in their modern line, M03.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2011 - 01:25 AM UTC
Thanks Tracy. I needed to find an acrylic color for haze gray. I can't use enamels.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 13, 2011 - 08:41 AM UTC
Lifecolor are issuing two sets of USN colors including haze grey. Colors should be available seperately as well soon.
Cheers,
Julian
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 01:16 AM UTC
Have you tried the rattle tin colour Sea Grey 27 ?
bravozulu
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 08:54 AM UTC
tell me AC, how do you plan to paint a 700 or 350th ship, with all the platforms, railings, gun tubs, fittings, vents, corners, decks with a can of SPRAY GRAY??
How do you then do the overpaint and underpainted section touch ups, spray into a spoon and then dip the brush into a spoon of paint?? Unbelievable advice, really. Ships are not like painting tanks where you assemble 90% of the item and then overspray the whole thing, brass and all with rattle can (god, even that sounds horrible, get a freakin airbrush) Rattle can. Threw those out in grade 5.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 - 12:41 PM UTC
I use cans when I do armor. My Leopold took two cans of Model Master Panzer gray. To do touch ups I actually used bottle of Model Master.

My 700 ships I brush. 350 ships will be airbrushed for sure.

bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 11:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

tell me AC, how do you plan to paint a 700 or 350th ship, with all the platforms, railings, gun tubs, fittings, vents, corners, decks with a can of SPRAY GRAY??
How do you then do the overpaint and underpainted section touch ups, spray into a spoon and then dip the brush into a spoon of paint?? Unbelievable advice, really. Ships are not like painting tanks where you assemble 90% of the item and then overspray the whole thing, brass and all with rattle can (god, even that sounds horrible, get a freakin airbrush) Rattle can. Threw those out in grade 5.

For some strange reason my computer doesn't always alert me to new posts, so sorry for any delay -------- simple, have a look at any of my ships and you'll see either one deck completely ''one'' colour, hull ''one'' colour, all using a rattle tin. simply use a 000 paint brush and paint round, my new 1-700 Fuso was done this way and I never find it a problem.
Hope this goes some way in helping.
If I can on my next build I'll try and attempt a step by step, a little IJN cruiser which I hope to show how I use a single colour to quickly paint and cover a whole model, its much easer then it sounds actually. Many people make the mistake of thinking that someone will first build then paint, well this is okay, but as you quite rightly said, how the darn do you paint those darnken corners and small almost out of the way places only seen by a camera ? Like I said, I'll try and do a little step by step some time in the near future.
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 - 05:39 PM UTC
Ah why wait until then, here is a basic 4 days model - 1-700 Fuso - using just two colours.
IJN Fuso 003
and this one taking longer just over a week 1-700 Yubari, again using a simple and quick rattle tin method.
Yubari 032
 _GOTOTOP