Topics on painting and paint schemes are grouped here
Need help with airbrushing
chesterchuen
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 02:26 AM UTC
Hi guys. Greetings, i'm new here, as well as being new to airbrushing. Its my first time using an airbrush system. However i encountered some problems with the paint and thinner mix. I've attached some photos of the disaster i encountered. The airbrush im using is Sparmax DH-103 with AC300 compressor. Here's the first step i did, with 2:1(X20A thinner : XF acrylic paint) ratio. I did some testing on some scrap and it looked fine. However upon spraying onto the model it turns out like this. The white stuffs is actually tissue as i tried to wipe the excess paint off, huge mistake i done.

I test again on another scrap paper, turns out there are some spurts of paint coming off, which according to the shop i bought from, paint is too thick. So i thin it further, to 4:1. And it looked like this.

Just wondering, where have i gone wrong? It looked worse than i expected, its an utter disaster. Im completely clueless of what is happening as im a complete newbie to airbrushing. Im planning to use sandpaper later to remove some paint then respray primer hoping to recover the situation. I really need help guys. Many thanks in advance.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 05:00 AM UTC
Hi Chester, I would suggest removing the old paint with methylated spirits or "Windex" before you do anything else at this moment. When it is clean try spraying several very thin coats to make the paint cover instead of one thick layer.
Try practicing on some scrap plastic or at a pinch even printer paper.
Good luck
Julian
chesterchuen
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2011 - 05:43 AM UTC
Thanks man! Will try it tml
 _GOTOTOP