Topics on painting and paint schemes are grouped here
Yamato deck colour help
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 06:06 AM UTC
Hello there, I don't want to look at someone else's work, but would like to know what colours the deck of the IJN Yamato was, the battleship appears to be split into sections, steel, wood, plate steel and tread plate, then above the decking there are other areas that some people paint and others leave grey.
So what colour would the deck be, stem to stern, wooden decking, but what paint colour.
Look forward to your reply.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 06:14 AM UTC
The main deck was the only one that had wood on it. They used teak which is light colored. So an early yamato would be a pale yellowish. i used radome tan (MM enamel)for that. Near the end it would be kind of a grayish tan....weathering sea water stained. All the metal would be in the dark gray I used engine gray (MM enamel). I have never seen linoleum (reddish brown) on her
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 07:51 AM UTC
Thank you very much for that Steve, I am trying to catch up on the 1945 Yam, and oddly enough just sat through the film of the same name. My kit has been and out of its box more times then I care to remember, so its about time that I made a start, then I thought, deck, what colour was the deck.
Thank you.
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 08:23 PM UTC
For the film set, they actually built a quarter of the ship, now paying people can board the set and be no doubt, equally amazed, also many super large models of this ship, yet strangely not much of her sister ship.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 08:56 PM UTC
Hi Alec,
I remember reading somewhere that on the Yamato's final mission in April 1945, "Ten -Ichi-Go" or Heaven Number One as it was called, the wooden decks were smeared with a mixture of diesel and soot to darken them. The wood used for the decks of both Yamato and Musashi was "Hinoki" cypress, not teak.
For a budget reference try Steve Wipers "Yamato class battleships", ISBN 978-1-84832-045-1. It's not in the league of the thick and expensive Japanese reference books that have been appearing but it does contain a lot of information and photos that only the "hard core riveters " will deem insufficient
Cheers,
Julian
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 28, 2011 - 10:22 PM UTC
http://youtu.be/k5QApkTZQuM
above if it worked okay that is, from the film, even spending countless millions on production doesn't always mean these people get it right, as when the main guns fire, there's no re-coil, but looking at the film from a model building hobby, can we honestly get enough of this sort of thing ?
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 04:37 AM UTC
Trying to hide ship that big is like trying to fit an elephant in the freezer
Julian
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 29, 2011 - 05:32 AM UTC
Due to its size, and because it was seriously overwhelmed by carrier forces, if they used this the same way the Germans used the Atlantic Ocean, hunting down and destroying cargo and supply shipping, I don't know, history saw this once incredible ship as the largest battleship ever built, lucky for us it was never used as it was intended.
My model is sadly back in the box (yet again) and now I'm fishing through the IJN Kongo, again by Fujimi, a much smaller battleship where I can hide many of my mistakes. All the info won't be wasted as I fully intend to build Yamato, but not just yet.
 _GOTOTOP