Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
Campaign: Ships of the Soviet Union
DanielChavez
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Model Shipwrights: 78 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 04:17 PM UTC
Hi Bruce!

Yep, I do believe they are regarded as "boats", too. However, I knew there was know way I was going to explain THAT to a 3 year old! Although, he DID end up correcting me...

I think I'm going to have to do a search for a real Beatles Yellow Submarine model.

Best wishes!

Daniel and Matthew
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 06:30 PM UTC
I have begun construction – initially my plan was to build and paint the hull so it was ready to embed in the base, but minor fit issues made gluing in sections the only option, leaving drying time free for other subassemblys - like the SS-N-22 setup.

So I began the funnel/hangar section, which is also a bit plagued by fit issues due to warped parts. It also meant that I had to begin research on the deckcolor, and a search on the ´net quickly revealed that we on the question on the Russian deck red/orange is on line with other fundamental – quasi religious – debates like “russian green”, “german yellow” and “proper OD”.

Sufficient to say – for me – is that after a few years of use/abuse/weathering/oilspills etc. the deck color really shows a lot of variation, even taking the photo induced variation into account.

Like I always do, I primed the entire etch sheet with a red automotive primer – which makes the parts much easier to see on any background and also lets me finish the paintjob on railing and other parts, so only touch up and weathering is needed after fixing the parts to the kit.

The red primer looks like a great base for the deck color, with a thin overspray of brownish/yellow and weathering I think it will suit the bill in regards to my research and the fact that my build will show a well used vessel.

The gunturret were allso assembled - and lacking the ladder and door for the "firecontrol" ?? - and its apparently not even included in the Gold Medal set, the doors in the set being much too big.

While waiting again for things to dry up, I got an urge to try out the more complex etch from Gold Medal - so I took a sving at the topmost part of the bridge - where the main radar goes on - the etch is very delicate, but allso very precise and showed to be quite easy to work with, allthough the fit to the kitparts need a bit care - it looks like the etchparts are leaning a bit forvard, but seen from the side, this is not the case.

I am still debating weather the kit or etch doors are better, the etch looks a bit large compare with the kit and referances....
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 04:31 PM UTC
Daniel: Nice choice, I almost went with an Alfa myself.
Sounds like a conversation I would have had with my Dad

Jan: You're build is coming along nicely! I particularly like the PE handrails, any tips on installing them?
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 05:26 PM UTC
Hello Daniel,
Back in the early 70's one of the modeling companies put out a yellow submarine. I am not sure which one, But I know there was one. Maybe from overseas?
I will start a search and see what I find. Miss Mary thinks it was Revel. I will take a look at a book I got as a gift that shows every model made to 2000. It only is about 5,000 pages long.
Cheers,
Bruce

P.S. My model is now not being made anymore. So I have to order a new one to take it's place.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 07:17 PM UTC
Thanks Jeremy, well, this is only my second ship needing railing - so i don´t know if my meager experience can help, but here goes:

1: cut in desired length and bend roughly into shape (not needed if its the gentle curve of the shipside)

2) glue using PE or Gator glue in one end and leave to dry.

3) glue the rest in sections, stabilize with hands, bluetack, masking tape or simply laying someting on the railing.

Dont use too much glue, let it flow using a needle or a toothpick to apply it - remove excess with cottonswabs.

Cheers/Jan
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 06:38 PM UTC
That doesn't sound so bad, although I fear for the delicacy of the finished project
I'll see if I can get my hands on some for my build and give it a shot.
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 02:17 AM UTC
Can anyone give me a Hand please does anyone have any ideas as to what colours the flight deck on the Minsk carrier would be and what would be the best acrylic colours to use for it The instructions for the kit I have are in Japanese and can,t figure what would be best colour,s from box artwork
Thank,s in advance to anyone who can help
Keith
grayghost666
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2011 - 11:11 PM UTC
Hello Keith,
Every photo I have seen the flight deck is either black or a very dark blue.
I will check my Janes books and see if it has a color photo in it.
You also might want to ask John over at White Ensign Models. Every time I need to know a color for a ship,He has the answer.
Just a Thought,
Cheers,
Bruce
PS: Just check and of the 2 color photo's I have 1 is in the shade it shows the deck as a mix gray/light blue the other in bright sun light shows gray/ middle brown or it might be rust and not brown.
The black/very dark blue was used for show only for VIP's and it was put on in a very, very thin coat. It flacked off during regular flight duties after a few days and the regular gray showed up.
Sorry about the mistake.
Cheers,
Bruce
beefy66
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 07:45 AM UTC
Hi Bruce Thanks for the reply have been doing some digging for INFO myself and found that the flightdeck on the Minsk is green and the rest of the ships deck is a sort of tan brown. Will be doing that soon and post ASAP
Cheers keith
grayghost666
Posted: Friday, July 29, 2011 - 04:43 PM UTC
Hello Keith,
Could it be a gray/green mix for the flight deck? I agree with the tan as it looked like brown in the photo.
Cheers,
Bruce
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 04:19 AM UTC
My Trumpeter 1/144 Kilo came in yesterday, so if I get a chance to start, that is what I plan to build.

It is a nice looking kit, I just hope it doesn't give me too many problems.

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC
Jim, are you going for a waterline or full hull display - if you go for the full hull, take care especially around the torpedo tubes as the fit of the upper hull part and the lower 2 halves ain´t that great and requires some putty and sanding.

Have fun/Jan
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 02:24 PM UTC
I think I am going to do her waterline. Does anyone make and 1/144 figures?

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, July 30, 2011 - 08:03 PM UTC
Preiser makes a tankcrew with 10 figures that could work.

cheers
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 02:27 PM UTC
I looked and found a couple things that might work for a few sailors standing on the deck.

I was curious about the inside of the conning tower behind the windows. Any idea what that looks like?

Found some nice pictures of a Kilos coming in and out of port.

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 07:38 PM UTC
No idea Jim, but think of it as a unpressurized bridge for navigating when surfaced - so rough and simple - and probably black.

Been working a bit on my Sovremenny - got the hull painted and all the major "buildings" on it - while keeping in mind that I am going to put in a base, I have been adding some of the minor parts and etched details - theres a lot of small subassemblies ...

The plier is for fixing the railing until the glue sets

beefy66
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2011 - 10:26 PM UTC
Nice work on the details and railings Jan looking crisp and sharp, Can you please tell me what colour you used for the deck and was it acrylic or enamel paint
Cheers Keith
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 12:10 AM UTC
Sure - but I don't Think you are going to like it ...

As I didnt have a suitable color I looked high an low, and considered mixing my own... I ended up using a cheep red car primer from a rattle can
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 - 07:28 AM UTC
Now at sea:

MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 09:33 AM UTC
Awfully quiet in here ? - everybody away on vacation ?

Got some progress going, but since I can´t upload to the gallery for the last few days ??? - it will just have to wait.

But the base and water is done - ready to embed the ship properly when its dried properly up.

Cheers/Jan
grayghost666
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 11:38 AM UTC
Hello Jan,
Big Jim changed the way to set up a gallery. Jim Adams is working on it.
Sorry about the delay,
Cheers,
Bruce
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2011 - 06:20 PM UTC
Well, now I got trough... anyway, it would seem that it did services in the Black Sea ...

I like to use black as a primer for painting water, I feel it ads some depth to the paint job.

Cheers/Jan
beefy66
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 12:23 AM UTC
Jan looking spot on and it should be quiet from me but my flight operator went bust two days before I was due to fly out on family holiday to Turkey. So until monday I,m filling in with a bit Building and painting until I can get to the pool side Three days late so will only be away for eleven day instead of the two weeks
So for now have painted the deck and bridge of the Minsk in a home made mix think it looks the same as the box artwork and matches some of the stuff I,ve seen on the Net so far

Here are some of the decals that i will use for the flightdeck cut from sheet
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 04:54 AM UTC
Very colorful, some wash will tone it a bit down, but looking good!

I have painted the water, still have to build up the white foam along the hullsides and give it all a coat of acrylic get to give it some depth.

Next I will be working on details and railing.

vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2011 - 08:13 PM UTC
Jan: Nice work! I'll have to try out the foil method with black paint for my build. I've never attempted that before.

Keith: The green looks like a good match to me, it certainly stands out!