_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
MSW Scuttlebutt
06/30/11
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 01:17 AM UTC

Welcome to MSW’s Scuttlebutt! Here’s the news for the day.

Feature - Kamikaze hit!

MSW Crew member Garth Bender shares the build story of his Kamikaze hit!.

Lockheed Martin Demonstrates Unmanned Vehicle Control Technology Aboard Littoral Combat Ship Test Vehicle
Source: Lockheed Martin

CHERRY HILL, NJ --- Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Laboratories (ATL) successfully demonstrated its SUMMIT technology aboard a Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) surrogate at the Naval Surface Warfare Center in Panama City, Fla.

The Supervision of Unmanned Mission Management by Interactive Teams (SUMMIT) program allows operators sitting at a single console to access services across all of the ground-control stations. Unlike traditional vehicle-centric methods, where one operator works on one console for a specific task, this mission-centric method allows a single operator at a single console to work on many different tasks. This approach maximizes the productivity of the LCS Mission Package's manning by allowing operators to work on multiple systems simultaneously.

The Office of Naval Research (ONR) sponsored the event as part of its Organic Mine Countermeasures Future Naval Capability Demonstration. During the demonstration, sailors from LCS Mine Warfare Detachment performed multiple simulated mine hunting and mine sweeping missions in St. Andrews Bay and the Gulf of Mexico using a mixture of live and simulated unmanned surface vehicles and remote minehunting systems. During the exercise, one sailor said SUMMIT was "making our job easier." Another said their mission would be "impossible to do without it."

ATL developed and evaluated SUMMIT as part of a $4.7 million, two-phase contract awarded by ONR in 2008. Although developed as part of the LCS Mine Countermeasures mission package, SUMMIT has the potential to expand into other mission packages and platforms.

Battle of Tampa

Today is the anniversary of the Battle of Tampa.

HMS Dreadnought (Battleship, 1906-1922)

Today’s website is HMS Dreadnought (Battleship, 1906-1922). Enjoy.

This Day in U.S. Naval History

1815 - USS Peacock takes HMS Nautilus, last action of the War of 1812.
1943 - 3rd Fleet Amphibious Force lands troops on Rendova Island while naval gunfire silences Japanese artillery.
1951 - Naval Administration of Marianas ends.

Diorama Idea of the Day

A landing craft air cushion (LCAC) approaches the multi-purpose amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima (LHD 7). To see the original high resolution photo, click here.

Gator
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 08:43 AM UTC
Hello Ken,
Your Dreadnought websit is not working.
Just so you know,
Cheers,
Bruce
 _GOTOTOP