_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
MSW Scuttlebutt
10/06/11
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 06, 2011 - 12:46 AM UTC

Welcome to MSW’s Scuttlebutt! Here’s the news for the day.

Feature - HMS Hood

New MSW Crew member Colin Swager shares with us his build of the HMS Hood.

GD Wins $49M for Underwater Minehunting Vehicle
Source: US Department of Defense

General Dynamics Advanced Informational Systems Inc., McLeansville, N.C., is being awarded a $48,606,916 contract with cost-plus-incentive-fee, cost-plus-fixed-fee, and firm-fixed-price line items for the engineering, manufacturing and development of the Surface Mine Countermeasure Unmanned Underwater Vehicle (SMCM UUV).

The SMCM UUV system will provide the fleet mine warfare commander with enhanced mine-hunting capability.

The SMCM UUV system will address the Navy's need to reliably detect and identify undersea volume and bottom mines in high-clutter environments and areas with potential for mine case burial. The SMCM UUV will also gather environmental data to provide intelligence support for other mine warfare systems. SMCM UUV system will be a part of the Littoral Combat Ship MCM mission package.

Third Dutch OPV Begins Sea Trials
Source: Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding

On Tuesday, September 27th the third Oceangoing Patrol Vessel (OPV), FRIESLAND, left the Damen Shipyard from Galati, Romania for her Sea Acceptance Trials. After a journey of 150 kilometres along the Danube, the ship has arrived at the Black Sea where it will be conducting tests for the next 10 days.

During this so-called platform trial run, the entire ship will be subjected to extensive testing. The tests will be conducted by staff of Damen Shipyards Galati and Damen Schelde Naval Shipbuilding Vlissingen. The Defence Material Organisation and the Navy Command will be acting as a critical customer and the shipyard needs to demonstrate that all systems meet the requirements.

The FRIESLAND is the third ship in the Holland class, a series of four Ocean-going Patrol Vessels (OPV) for the Royal Netherlands Navy. These 108-meter long, flexibly deployable patrol ships, with a crew of 50, will make a significant contribution to international law enforcement and security (Maritime Security Operations). To this end, they will be deployed for, among other things, anti-piracy missions, counterdrug operations and coastal guard tasks in The Netherlands as well as the Caribbean.

The FRIESLAND was christened by the chairperson of the Lower House, Mrs. Gerdi Verbeet. In February of 2012 Damen Schelde will transfer the FRIESLAND to the Defence Material Organisation.

Naval Battle of Vella Lavella

Today is the anniversary of Naval Battle of Vella Lavella.

USS Bainbridge DLG(N)25/CG(N)25 Association

Today’s website is the USS Bainbridge DLG(N)25/CG(N)25 Association. Enjoy.

This Day in U.S. Naval History

1884 - The Department of the Navy establishes the Naval War College at Newport, R.I.
1940 - The fourth group of eight U.S. destroyers involved in the Destroyers for Bases Deal are turned over to British authorities in Halifax, Canada.
1943 - In the Battle of Vella Lavella, three U.S. destroyers attack nine Japanese destroyers to stop evacuation of Japanese troops from Vella Lavella, Solomon Islands.
1958 - USS Seawolf (SSN 575) completes a record submerged run of 60 days, logging more than 13,700 nautical miles.
1962 - USS Bainbridge (DLGN 25), the Navy's first nuclear-powered destroyer, is commissioned.
1997 - NASA Astronaut Cmdr. Wendy B. Lawrence returns from mission with STS-86, when Space Shuttle Atlantis docks with Mir Space Station. The mission began Sept. 25.

Diorama Idea of the Day

The U.S. Navy destroyers USS Selfridge (DD-357), left, and USS O'Bannon (DD-450) damaged at Noumea, Espiritu Santo, after the naval Battle of Vella Lavella, on 7 October 1943. To see the original high resolution photo, click here.

Gator
 _GOTOTOP