_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
Advice needed: Which PE set for 1/350 LHD-1?
tribun
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 164 posts
Model Shipwrights: 119 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2011 - 06:59 PM UTC
Hey there!

Normally a 1/35 modern AFV modeller, I also do modern US Navy subjects in 1/350 from time to time (having done a Perry FFG, an Arleigh Burke DDG and the LCS Independece this year).

Now, I was able to purchase a 1/350 Gallery Models LHD-1 USS Wasp for a good price (about 160 Swiss Francs). I'm ready to invest the "saved" money into some PE. Question is: which one should I go with? There is the one from WEM, which I found a review of. Seems to be nice, ship, airwing and landing craft/AFVs. And there is another from KA Models, seemingly less sophisticated (no aircraft interior, no Harrier wing hardpoints etc.). Does anyone know if KA Models is for good? I Haven't found a review of this one, yet. Any experience?

Would be nice to have some advice if you already put one of these PE sets to use or built a 1/350th Wasp, respectively.

Thanks in advance, Daniel

Firecaptain
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 165 posts
Model Shipwrights: 35 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 09:22 AM UTC
I believe WEM sells ship, airwing, and a 3rd set separately.
The KA set has all included in one set.
The way I figured it it was a better deal in USD to go with the KA set.
tribun
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Sunday, October 23, 2011 - 07:00 PM UTC
Thanks: Yes I also thought the KA set to be "more bang for the buck".
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 117 posts
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 01:57 AM UTC
I am getting ready to start building my 1/350 Wasp. Anyone know if there are sets of additional aircraft for the Wasp out there?
tribun
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Monday, October 24, 2011 - 07:18 PM UTC
There should be all the accessories on the 1/350 Wasp also available as "upgrade" sets: https://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/news/9833

I found this review of the aircraft set: http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/gallery/kit_gallery_64003.shtml

Would be nice to add some more aircraft to the deck!
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 - 12:42 AM UTC
Daniel, thanks! Now I just have to find them!
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 06:22 AM UTC
Found them on the MRC website. Ordered and received within two weeks.
tribun
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Wednesday, November 09, 2011 - 06:22 PM UTC
Nice! Will you add PE to the kit(s)?
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 12:22 AM UTC
Yes, I will be adding PE. Will be a while before I start on it. Still working on a 1/350 Nimitz class. Adding detail and LED lights to the hangar deck on that one. Will try and add a complete air wing, as well. Have you started your Wasp yet?
tribun
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Thursday, November 10, 2011 - 04:26 AM UTC
No, the beauty is still on her shelf. I think I'll add the WEM PE set and if possible also an extra aircraft set. Some lights in the hangar and dock area would also be a nice addition to this kit, as far as I can tell; but till now I haven't done anything like that. At the moment I don't see any time to build the kit, though. I'm studying, will be in military service during 4 weeks in december and january, and next year I'm going to write a master's thesis... So perhaps I'll let her sit on the shelf for a little while... and build the new trumpeter 1/350 USS Freedom LCS instead ( as a so-called "stop-gap-measure"), when it is available
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 02:32 AM UTC
I built the aircraft from the accessory set. You will need to add weight to the nose of several of them. The AH1 will need weighting (I used a piece of solder). The CH53, only if you build it with the rotor blades folded back (I put two BBs in the nose). I put a BB in the nose of the Ospreys with the wings rotated for storage just in case...
tribun
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 02:58 AM UTC
Really? I haven't thought about that type of problem in this scale, but... thanks! I still haven't decided which PE set to go with... but I'll watch the other (build) thread about this kit.
trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 12:17 AM UTC
I didn't think about it either, at first. Ended up using a piece of plastic rod as a stand to tip the a/c back forward. Not a real issue for the a/c that will get glued in place in the hangar, but I don't plan on gluing down everything on the flight deck. Having the same issue with planes for my 1/350 scale Nimitz (which is what I am working on now). Adding a complete (not completely accurate, but good enough) hangar bay, opening and closing hangar bay doors, and LED lighting in the hangar bay. I plan on putting an almost complete air wing (about 70 a/c) on board. I want to put about half in the hangar, with the rest to be re-positionable on the flight deck. Been working on the bits and pieces to go inside for a while. Palletized loads to represent a recent replenishment, stuff like that.
tribun
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 10:50 AM UTC
Your Nimitz sounds to be an awesome build, Thomas! I'm really looking forward to see some pictures. Yesterday I pre-ordered an additional set of aircraft from the 1/350 LHD kit. So the deckspace will be more efficiently used.
Cheers
 _GOTOTOP