_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
Pollywog watch list-crossing the line
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 08:49 AM UTC
I had heard about this, and even seen photos, but never knew it was so formal.
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ships/logs/AKA/AKA-28_Pollywog.html
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 19, 2011 - 09:18 AM UTC
Times and PC has changed the whole crossing the line in the past 40 years. Much more milder and kinder.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2011 - 12:40 PM UTC
I never did get to cross the equator, but I did cross the Arctic Circle. Our ceremony was rather typical, but from what I understand milder than those held just a few ears earlier.

We had a few crew members who did not take part in the initiation. It is noted in their service record that they crossed, but they were not a Blue Nose. I wanted SO bad to cross the equator, but it was not to be.

I know this will sound very sexist, but I seriously do not mean to be, women serving on board ship have totally changed the Navy. There are many things that are no longer tolerated. Some of the fun and games we played are no longer allowed. I can only imagine how much has changed since Dave served.

Times are changing and old traditions are going by the way side. It is very sad to see this happen.

CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 06:57 AM UTC
In 1988 our line crossing was a blast, though I wasn't thrilled with the scrambled eggs down the back of the shirt--fresh off the grill, that is!

We also had a young sailor who, when crawling about the mess deck, got whacked from behind with a length of cut fire hose like the rest of us, but he was struck in the scrotum which sent him to Sick Bay. The XO (our Captain was NOT a Shellback, BTW) conferred Shellback status on him without any more ceremony.

--Karl
 _GOTOTOP