Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
LHD-1 USS Wasp build
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 08:07 PM UTC
You are right about the white tie-downs Julian. I can't find any pictures of the operational ship with them either. It would be a ton of maintenance to keep them all nice and white during operations as well.. Not to mention a bad idea camouflage wise..

The raised deck markings could be a blessing in disguise.. You could mask them up to the raised parts, then remove the raised parts and voila, painted on deck markings!!

Good luck...
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 09:56 PM UTC
Thank you Daniel,glad you enjoyed the review. Buying another airwing set for two Harriers is a slightly expensive solution to the "problem". Think I'll pass on that one
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 - 09:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The raised deck markings could be a blessing in disguise.. You could mask them up to the raised parts, then remove the raised parts and voila, painted on deck markings!!

Good luck...

I have actually been considering that Warren, easier than it would appear as well if you use liquid mask. I'll keep this idea on the back burner
Julian
Mgunns
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,423 posts
Model Shipwrights: 99 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 07:24 AM UTC
I was on the USS Kearsarge in 96 and at that time they were transitioning over to all grey masts and top hamper. I don't know if the U.S. Navy has since transitioned back to black masts and top hamper.

Best

Mark
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 05:27 PM UTC
Thanks for the feed back on that Mark, grey it will be
cheers,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 07:23 PM UTC
The delivery estimate for the KA PE set was about 1 - 2 months
Luckily I was able to cancel the order. Back to square 1 though, wondering what to do now. Are KA and WEM the only PE sets available for the Wasp?
Julian
tribun
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 164 posts
Model Shipwrights: 119 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 07:46 PM UTC
I feared something like that... As far as I know, they are the only ones til now. Why not go with the WEM set? I know it isn't cheap, but...
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 09:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The delivery estimate for the KA PE set was about 1 - 2 months
Luckily I was able to cancel the order. Back to square 1 though, wondering what to do now. Are KA and WEM the only PE sets available for the Wasp?
Julian

That is why I asked you whether it was Available or In Stock. I waited for more than 2 years for an item before I finally got around to cancelling the order.

Pit Road also make a set for the Wasp Julian, LHD-1 type...

Or go and have a look here.. http://www.ebay.com/itm/MK1-1-350-LHD-1-WASP-DETAIL-UP-PE-PARTS-MS35021-/250736170169

GO FOR IT!!
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 11:24 PM UTC
Thanks mate ! Ordered............................................
Julian
tribun
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 11:34 PM UTC
Which one have you ordered? The MK1 set seems to be a clone of the KA one, or am I wrong??!
Cheers, Daniel
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 12:19 AM UTC
hi Daniel, I have ordered the Mk1, I think it is exactly the same as the KA
I also bought some Evergreen I girders to fit to the overhead in the welldeck area.
I have also bought some inkjet decal paper to try my hand at some custom decals for the Wasp, (first time for me so will be an interesting experiment) .
Why I didn´t go for the WEM set. No specific reason, I have bought a lot of their sets and I was curious how another firm handled this sort of thing. WEM are excellent, no misunderstanding there
cheers,
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 12:26 AM UTC
Hello Julian, I am looking forward to following along with another build by you. They are always enjoyable and informative. Even if I have no intention of building that particular subject, I like watching another modellers take on doing it. I guess it is sort of like modelling voyeurism. The only downside is that sometimes the build looks so good, I end up adding another kit to the stash, and another project to a list that is way too long already! Al
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hi Al, welcome aboard this build Have you finished the MAS yet?
Also curious how the experiments with the hold and fold turned out
Cheers,
Julian
tribun
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 03:26 AM UTC
Hey, really looking forward to hear your thoughts about the MK1/KA PE set... where did you order it? And do you plan to install some lights into the ceiling of the hangar/well deck area?

Cheers
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 03:36 AM UTC
Hi Daniel, ordered from a store in South Korea via E-bay. The guy had 10 sets in stock so I hope he manages to dispatch in 1-3 days as his site says
No, I won't be putting any Leds in the overhead, (so why go to all the bother of detailing? ).
Cheers,
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 04:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Al, welcome aboard this build Have you finished the MAS yet?
Also curious how the experiments with the hold and fold turned out
Cheers,
Julian

Hello Julian, I'm happy to say that the MAS is finally completed, except for the crew. I already have four aboard, and I'm working on the fifth. I'm not sure, but there eventually may be more than that. I really plan on having some photos posted very soon. The Hold & Fold was essential for this build, and I am quite happy that I made the investment. I would recommend it to anyone working with photo-etched parts. It sure made the job easier. I'm sure I'll be getting a lot more use out of it in the future. It seems there isn't a kit released that doesn't include, or require, photo-etched parts. Going by the photos, the upcoming Vosper has quite an extensive sheet of brass parts. Al
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 05:09 AM UTC
Photo's ? come on, twist your son's arm Hold and fold, can't really figure working PE without one of these tools Oh yes, and Gator Grip glue, (bless you Kenny)
I have mixed feelings about the Vosper, seems Italeri is delivering minimum effort for maximum price......................
cheers,
Julian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 06:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Photo's ? come on, twist your son's arm Hold and fold, can't really figure working PE without one of these tools Oh yes, and Gator Grip glue, (bless you Kenny)
I have mixed feelings about the Vosper, seems Italeri is delivering minimum effort for maximum price......................
cheers,
Julian

Julian, I agree that the Vosper seems kind of pricey, and that Italeri might have chosen a better type to release. I'm no expert, but I like what I've seen judging by the photos. I think that Italeri did a very good job representing all the detail and the look of the boat. I guess that everything will only keep getting more expensive, and this is likely to be the only game in town. I'll just have to wait and see what might be done with, or added to, the basic kit. Al
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 07:34 AM UTC
MK1 is a part of KA Model. If you look all the 1/350 ship PE stuff is Mk1 and all the other stuff is KA Model.
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 02:09 PM UTC
Looking forward to watching your build as always Julien......Cheers Mark
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 06:34 PM UTC
Thanks Mark, sort of "the calm before the storm" at the moment, lots of messages but not too many photos yet Hope to work on that this weekend.
cheers,
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 03:40 PM UTC
This happens everytime I start to read your evil build logs Mr Sallows. I just went and ordered me an LHD-1 for the princely sum of $129 delivered to my door. Now I will watch with interest to see how the MK1 PE goes. The PE is even more interesting as I am still tossing up whether to buy the PE and Wooden Deck for my 1/200 Arizona. But I bought that one before seeing your build log..
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 04:29 PM UTC
they should treat model boxes like cigarette packets: put a warning on saying "THIS MODEL CAN HAVE ADVERSE EFFECTS ON THE HEALTH OF YOUR WALLET AND BANK ACCOUNT"
I feel your pain though, this is what happens to me all the time: I see some else's build an decide that further life isn't possible without having one of my own.
By the way, have you seen the new releases at Wing Nut Wings? The late model FE 2b looks very tasty to say the least..................................................
See what I mean?
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 05:13 PM UTC
I have 40+ 1/350 ship kits in the stash at the moment. I figure if I concentrate on ships for a while I should get that down a bit, same as I did with my WW1 biplanes for the KotS Campaign on Aeroscale.

Speaking of WW1 aircraft, yes, I saw those releases before very soon after they were posted on the WNW site, but this time I am not getting Early and Late of both straight up, although if my pension back-pay comes through I will be ordering them the next day..

I am expecting more releases before Christmas if last year was anything to go by.

Am waiting with huge anticipation this build and the quality of the PE set.
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, December 01, 2011 - 05:35 PM UTC
I have started work on the well deck and its overhead rails. The fit of the decks inside the hull is excellent ! I have also added the bulbous bow to the main hull, (couldn't resist a quick fit there). That part needed some putty and judicious sandpapering to make the joins invisible.
I'll be posting some snaps this weekend.
Also in the process of finishing my Revell 1/9 Kettenkrad:
http://cs.finescale.com/FSMCS/forums/t/142306.aspx
camo is done with the Neo by Iwata that I reviewed, (Jim should be posting the review soon).
cheers,
Julian