Topics on painting and paint schemes are grouped here
Need advice for painting with paint brushes
wilkinsontan
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
KitMaker: 9 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 - 06:40 PM UTC
Hi. I am new to model building. I recently assembled a 1:72 Mig-3. I used paint brushes and enamel paint for my model. The end result was rather patchy and i felt the paint was a liitle too thick. I used the paint straight from the bottle. Should I have diluted it first? If so, what ratio should i use? Please advice.

Another question, after painting do you normally place a after coat? Thanks.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 12:02 AM UTC
Painting with brushes can be frustrating. The paint has to be thin enough to flow evenly, but thick enough to cover. You have to experiment, each brand of paint is different. Sometimes even paints of the same brand can vary, depending on how old the paint is. Older paint needs to be thinned more than a new bottle. The thinner in a bottle of paint will evaporate over time. Especially after the bottle has been opened. Even a 'new' bottle could have been sitting on the store shelf for a long time, and need to be thinned. Some colors are much harder to get good overage with on a large area. Silver, white, or yellow, for example. You might find it easier to use a spray can in some cases. The type of paint brush you use can also affect the finish. I find I get better results using short bristled, square tipped, paint brushes of different widths. Wider brushes for large areas and narrower ones for smaller parts. I hope I have helped you. Painting, like everything else, takes practice. After a while you will find what works best for you. Good luck, and keep at it. Al
wilkinsontan
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 12:40 AM UTC
Thanks. I guess you are right. I may try out spray cans for my next models. At least for the larger parts and keep the paint brushes for the smaller parts.
wilkinsontan
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Painting with brushes can be frustrating. The paint has to be thin enough to flow evenly, but thick enough to cover. You have to experiment, each brand of paint is different. Sometimes even paints of the same brand can vary, depending on how old the paint is. Older paint needs to be thinned more than a new bottle. The thinner in a bottle of paint will evaporate over time. Especially after the bottle has been opened. Even a 'new' bottle could have been sitting on the store shelf for a long time, and need to be thinned. Some colors are much harder to get good overage with on a large area. Silver, white, or yellow, for example. You might find it easier to use a spray can in some cases. The type of paint brush you use can also affect the finish. I find I get better results using short bristled, square tipped, paint brushes of different widths. Wider brushes for large areas and narrower ones for smaller parts. I hope I have helped you. Painting, like everything else, takes practice. After a while you will find what works best for you. Good luck, and keep at it. Al

Another question. If i use paint and paintbrush, what do i use as a after coat over the paint?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 05:56 AM UTC
first off if you are going to get serious about modeling (and i highly recommend it ...lol) invest in an airbrush. You can get a simple badger and a couple of the aircans to run it to make sure you like it. It makes painting larger areas a joy and the paint job looks marvelous.

As to what after spray. Depending on the model i use a spray can ot Testors dullcoat or glosscoat. Military models dullcoat cars and civilian planes glosscoat
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 06:30 AM UTC
Painting with a brush is always a personal way of finishing a model. You choose for enamels here whereas I would pick acrylic paint. Thinning the paint down and using several thin layers is generally a better modus operandi than whacking a thick layer down at once. Also for large areas I would always choose for an airbrush. Practice is always the best way to find which style suits yourself the best.
cheers,
Julian
wilkinsontan
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 02:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

first off if you are going to get serious about modeling (and i highly recommend it ...lol) invest in an airbrush. You can get a simple badger and a couple of the aircans to run it to make sure you like it. It makes painting larger areas a joy and the paint job looks marvelous.

As to what after spray. Depending on the model i use a spray can ot Testors dullcoat or glosscoat. Military models dullcoat cars and civilian planes glosscoat

Thanks for the advice. I will try out a few more models before considering getting an airbrush.
wilkinsontan
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 02:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Painting with a brush is always a personal way of finishing a model. You choose for enamels here whereas I would pick acrylic paint. Thinning the paint down and using several thin layers is generally a better modus operandi than whacking a thick layer down at once. Also for large areas I would always choose for an airbrush. Practice is always the best way to find which style suits yourself the best.
cheers,
Julian

Thanks. I chose enamel because it was easily available to me. yes. i realised my mistake too. should have applied a few layers of thin paint rather than thick strokes.
wilkinsontan
Visit this Community
Alur Setar, Malaysia
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 02:55 PM UTC
How do i accentuate the lines on a model? I saw a video using 2B pencil. Any advice on this?
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 - 06:04 PM UTC
Try and get hold of Tamiya''s new panel line accentuater: magic stuff. Pencil lines are very difficult to paint over if things go pear shaped, (IMHO).
cheers,
Julian
 _GOTOTOP