_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Itsa my MAS
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 06:13 AM UTC
As promised, I'm finally posting pictures of my MAS build. I'd like to thank Julian and Alan for their blog's and the inspiration and guidance they provided.

See more photo's here
http://public.fotki.com/HVHMG/members_gallery/al_bubnis/mas-boat/

Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 06:53 AM UTC
That is a beautiful build Al, you did a great job ! Holy macaroni, I lika da boat !
Julian

While we are on the fake Italian accents try reading the story about the Italian who went to Malta, link here:
http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~steinl/vitser/malta.html
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 07:34 AM UTC
Thanks Julian, It was an uphill battle sometimes, but I am quite happy with the results. I wish I had a dollar for every time I broke that darned, rake-like, exhaust piece on the smoke generator. It was frustrating to say the least! I am still working on one more crewman. Then I'll call it done. Al (P.S.) Imma no gonna go to a Malta!
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 10:29 AM UTC
As usual Al, another great job!!! For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of seeing Al's work, I consider him one of the best. He got me back into serrious model building about 25 years ago, so now I really have someone to blame for my insanity now, . All aside Al, just a fantastic job, it all comes together in the end no matter how many times you broke that part. The paint job and your figures make it stand out even better. Congats my friend. Now for your Vosper, can hardly wait for that one to.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 10:32 AM UTC
Hey Julian, good one, made my day, lol.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 10:46 AM UTC
Hi Al,

Great work.

Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 01:17 PM UTC
Hi Bob, Thanks for the compliment, but it still won't get you unlimited, or unsupervised, access to my spare parts drawer. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 01:21 PM UTC
Thanks Alan, I didn't go as far as you, but I did add an interior to the forward compartment. You can't see it without a flash light (torch to you Brits), but at least I know it's in there.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 02:10 PM UTC
I know where the key is , besides, all I got to do is compliment your wife about what a dam good cook she is. And it would be a well deserved compliment too.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 07:32 AM UTC
Nice work, Al! I can see an interesting diorama in making with the American PT and MAS next to each other.

--Karl
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 07:56 AM UTC
Congratulations Al . A great work with is M.A.S .... some day I will have one in my shipyard!!!
And which is the near one?? Vosper MTB ??
Regards from the South!!!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 10:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice work, Al! I can see an interesting diorama in making with the American PT and MAS next to each other.

--Karl

Thanks for the kind words Karl. Two things are working against that diorama. The Elco is painted in a Pacific camouflage scheme, not for the Med. I don't think IL Duce's ambitions ever got him that far. Secondly, and more importantly, if I ever tried to make a base big enough to accommodate both boats, my wife would have both boats and me sleeping out in the cold! Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 10:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Congratulations Al . A great work with is M.A.S .... some day I will have one in my shipyard!!!
And which is the near one?? Vosper MTB ??
Regards from the South!!!

Thanks Daniel, The MAS is sitting in front of a US 80' Elco, which is also by Italeri and is to the same scale. The Elco dwarfs the Italian boat, and seriously out-guns it. The Vosper is still in transit from Hong Kong and should be docking sometime next week. Al
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 11:32 AM UTC
Looks Great AL.
Love the humor of your title.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 12:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks Great AL.

Thanks Dave, The humor goes back to my aunt, who was Italian. She used to tell this very old joke. One Italian sailor says to another, " Look! Atsa U-boat." To which the other one replies, "Itsa no my boat, itsa German!". Al
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Looks Great AL.

Thanks Dave, The humor goes back to my aunt, who was Italian. She used to tell this very old joke. One Italian sailor says to another, " Look! Atsa U-boat." To which the other one replies, "Itsa no my boat, itsa German!". Al

There was an old joke in wartime Britain about one of the ex-patriot Czech pilots in the RAF giving a war bond rally speech where he described a harrowing clash with a 'swarm of Fokkers'. Due to the pilot's heavy accent and the unusual name just referred, the rally's English host jumped in to explain to the audience that 'Fokker' was the name of an aircraft manufacturer. 'That is so', the nonplussed pilot replied, 'but in this case these fokkers were Messerschmidts!'

--Karl
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 02:40 PM UTC
Hello Karl, thanks for the laugh. There is a lot of humour to be mined from a bad accent. I worked with a young Italian fellow and he was going on one day about "Kanibbles"! We asked what in heck was a Kanibble? It took us a while to figure out he was trying to say cannibals! On the other hand, I once worked with a girl from Liverpool. One day she calmly announced that "I had knocked her up last night." I was a little confused to say the least! I replied that I surely would have remembered that! She explained it meant that I woke her up when I had phoned her. I told her that it had a somewhat different connotation in the States. Like the saying goes," Two people separated by a common language.". Al
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 09:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...I once worked with a girl from Liverpool. One day she calmly announced that "I had knocked her up last night." I was a little confused to say the least! I replied that I surely would have remembered that! She explained it meant that I woke her up when I had phoned her. . Al

In 1940's Australian colloquial English, 'knocked up' meant getting winded or worn out. At the start of the Guadalcanal campaign, an Australian plantation owner acting as a guide for the newly-arrived Marines was scouting ahead with native Solomon islanders and, being noticeably overweight and out of shape, had to take a protracted breather. He sent word back to the Americans that he was 'knocked up' and would wait until the Marines caught up with him.

The Marines received the strange-sounding message from the guide, but continued with the rendezvous. When the Marines caught sight of the heavyset planter resting under a tree, a private exclaimed in amazement, "By God, he IS knocked up!"

--Karl
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 10:47 AM UTC
Karl, life is often funnier than fiction isn't it. Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 07:30 AM UTC
I added the sixth crew member to my MAS, he was modified from the seated gunner figure. I repositioned his legs, replaced his head, and used the kit supplied helmet.

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC
Nice work Al, Good use of the figure.

Alan
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 09:06 AM UTC
Thanks Alan, I don't understand why Italeri's sculptors can't make a figure that sits right. I had the same problem with the US crew for the 40mm. They make the boats, so they have plenty of opportunity to get the figures right. Al
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...They make the boats, so they have plenty of opportunity to get the figures right. Al

Could be they are using a sub-contractor who may not have the kit in his studio?

--Karl
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 20, 2011 - 09:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

...They make the boats, so they have plenty of opportunity to get the figures right. Al

Could be they are using a sub-contractor who may not have the kit in his studio?

--Karl

I

Hello Karl, If they are using someone else you would still think Italeri could provide them with a kit, or at least the appropriate parts, to ensure a good fit. Al
 _GOTOTOP