_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Question About The AIRFIX S-10 Class Kit
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 08:05 AM UTC
Hello,

I have a question about a budding theory in my head.

The AIRFIX S-10 Class Schnellboot kit ...

Could that, by a modeler with a lot of skill, be used as the basis for a model of one of the Regia Marina's MS boats?

Just wondering.

Garth
BM2
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,361 posts
Model Shipwrights: 153 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 12:06 PM UTC
Don't see why not looks like they were made from German boats anyway-

In April 1941, while possible solutions to the problem were studied, the capture of what remained of the Yugoslav fleet provided the solution on a silver plate. Besides the other material, six torpedo boats of German construction were captured in the port of Cattaro. They were all of the type Ss 1, built by the shipyard Lurssen. These units, of about 65 tons, immediately proofed themselves in conformity with the requirements of the Regia Marina. In fact, the shape of their hulls allowed them to properly maintain high speeds even under not-too-ideal sea conditions. The shipyard CRDA of Monfalcone was therefore given the task to redraw the blueprints of these units and from these derive a new Italian project for a MS.

Thus was born the MS "CRDA 60 t." which replicated, with minimal changes, the original German model. The model was immediately reproduced in a first series of 18 units, which entered service beginning in April 1942. This first series was followed by a second one of as many, of which the last unit was not delivered because of the armistice of 8th September. The MS of this type, even though inspired by an outmoded German model, was better fit for the long patrols in the Mediterranean than the MAS. Although not as fast, they surely had better seaworthiness and, due to the greater dimensions, they were more comfortable, better armed, and with greater range.

from-
http://www.regiamarina.net/detail_text_with_list.asp?nid=77&lid=1
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2012 - 12:40 PM UTC
Fock and others list the dimensions of the S7 series boats (S7 - S13) as 32.4m x 4.9m. The six ex-Jugoslavian boats (MAS3D-8D, later MS41-46)were based on S2-S6, for which Fock, Bagnasco, and others list the dimensions as 28m x 4.2m. Bagnasco lists the Italian-built MS11-16, 21-26, 31-36 (which were based on MAS3D-8D) as 28m x 4.3m.

At 1/72 scale, the dimensions of an S7 would be approximately 450mm x 68mm; that of the Italian boats 389mm x 60mm. To convert the AIRFIX hull, you'd have to shorten it by about 2 3/8" and narrow it by about 1/4". The deck furniture would have to be rearranged, the charthouse reshaped, and various details changed.

Al Ross
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2012 - 01:59 AM UTC
Thanks to you both. I have Bagnasco's books on them. I'm sure they'll help my modeler.
 _GOTOTOP