Dec 1941 Arizona
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,509 posts
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2012 - 04:54 AM UTC
Been collecting all the goodies I will need to do my 1/200 'zona. So no paint

What are the colors I need to do this I use enamels and prefer using Testor's Model Master. I 'm good for red just need the 2 grays mainly and have a real wood deck to use
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 - 04:30 AM UTC
Damm !!!! Where is Tracy White when you need him.......LOL
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 08, 2012 - 04:54 AM UTC
Sorry Steve... been a busy week! I'm afraid I'm not going to be of much help because I'm still trying to research and make a determination on her December 1941 scheme. Bluntly - anyone at this point who says that they *know* her final scheme doesn't know what they were talking about! I cover the reasons behind this in a blog post here if you want to read more.

You have two options if you want to do a true scheme with less guesswork with the kit and no serious modifications. Arizona's last major overhaul finished in January of 1941 and all of the major structures are there - just leave off the radar platform on the forward mast and add the range clocks from a photo-etch set. She came out of this overhaul painted in the prewar "#5 Standard Navy Gray."

At the very end of May or beginning of June she was painted in camouflage Measure 1, which consisted of 5-D Dark Gray and 5-L Light Gray. White Ensign has all of these colors in their line. If you want Testors... well there are the paint conversion sites you can use. I've got the WEM paints so I can't say which conversion is the best.

One thing I'm also trying to research is the use of linoleum by the US Navy, which would most likely have been a reddish brown color like the other navies of the time. we know that they used Linoleum in interior spaces up to the time of the attack, and there's a great color shot of Battleship Idaho showing what looks like linoleum around her flag bags:
http://images.google.com/hosted/life/a0df3993f76c1b29.html

If it was used, it would have most likely have been on the metal decks on the superstructure and above.
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2012 - 08:07 PM UTC
Thanks for the info Tracy. loved the blog post. I have been able to get a pretty close match with Gunship gray and light gray from MM paints. SO I will go with that scheme. 5D and 5L
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2012 - 03:16 AM UTC
Yeah, I wrote the post so I could link to it as opposed to writing it over and over again Hope you enjoy the build! I'm going to start mine later this summer at a "public modelling event" (model club is getting a table at a street fair to show up and model for a bit where everyone can see and ask questions).
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 08:35 AM UTC
A friend of mine Kmagee from this site and i did that several years ago. We went to all the public libraries in Plano onseveral Saturday afternoons and did a make and take as well as some advanced techniques.. A lot of fun and it raelly helps to promote the hobby. Kudoes to you
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 29, 2012 - 11:30 AM UTC
I'm not the one organizing it, but I figured I'd show up and wave the ship modeler flag.
 _GOTOTOP