_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
USAF 94-FOOTERS
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2012 - 06:15 AM UTC
Hello All,

May I ask for your assistance with a modeling project?

A few years ago, my brother Tom 'won' me an old LINDBERG kit of the USAF 94-foot Air-Sea-Rescue-Craft from a seller from Portugal on Ebay.

I'm getting ready to have a modeler build it up for me, ... finally. Bob Cicconi, ... don't worry, it's not you ... :-)

In USAF service, the two 94-footers wore - what I jokingly refer to as (when I talk with B.G. "Chip" Marshall) 'those damned clown colors'. Those being white, yellow and day-glo orange.

Mr. Marshall has been telling me for a number of years now, that, in the early 60s, the USAF handed the boats over to the USN. He also says the Navy used them, for a short time, as "Beach Jumper boats".

He said, that, PROBABLY - during this time, the two boats were painted in the grays of the time and were armed with guns which were in the Navy's 'approved' inventory, rather than the two quad-50 mounts they were armed with in USAF service.

Can any of you, especially you former USN guys, tell me what grays were used as well as what guns they would have been fitted with while in the USN?

Thanks loads,

Garth

Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Monday, September 03, 2012 - 11:03 PM UTC
You may want to contact thes folks for help:
warboats.org