_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
French Rag Ship Help
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 29, 2012 - 12:52 PM UTC
I recently acquired Monogram's ancient RAG Ship model. There are basically no painting instructions, not even illustrations of where to apply the decals. I can't locate any photos of this ship. So, unless I build a "what-if", I am in need of some reference material.
zontar
Visit this Community
Hawaii, United States
KitMaker: 1,646 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 10:44 AM UTC
Matt: I also recently picked up that kit. I will dig it out tonight and scan the instructions tomorrow. Send me an IM with your email.

Happy Modeling, -zon
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2012 - 11:23 AM UTC
I have the instructions. There is a vague list of colors to be used, but it does not list the overall color scheme.
sherb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 752 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 - 12:29 AM UTC
Maybe these will help.

http://members.multimania.co.uk/Indochine/cefeo/dinassau.html

http://www.cocatrez.net/Water/STCAN_RAG_Boat/STCAN_RAG_Boat.html

http://www.cocatrez.net/Water/STCAN_RAG_Boat/STCAN-FOM.jpg
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 - 12:38 AM UTC
Thanks Sherb. I found both of these. The last link is what I will go by. The problem I have is not knowing what colors are part of the scheme. I think I would like to do it being lifted by a UH-1. Were all or most of the Brown Water Navy painted od or were they pale green?
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Model Shipwrights: 219 posts
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2012 - 04:33 AM UTC
Hi Matt,
I picked up a kit off of e-bay late last year. No box or instructions. I spent several evenings looking for images. I didn't find too many but some pictures that I did find seemed to indicate that at least some of the rag boats had a cabin under the canopy in the central section of the boat with a walkway on either side. I haven't found any pictures with the canvas covers raised that allow you to see through to what is on the other side of the boat. I also found one shot end on from the aft which seems to show a cabin wall. It makes sense to me since there is no obvious way to access the pilot house I'll try to post the photos I found when I get home this weekend. I tried polling members on the Brown Water Navy website but didn't get any responses that would confirm this.
Thanks
John McDaniel
Sciappapetre
Visit this Community
Italy
KitMaker: 7 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 06, 2013 - 07:12 PM UTC
I just stumbled on that thread.
AFAIK, Dinassaut vessels were all painted pale navy grey, tarps included.
Hope it'll help.
RogerEP
KitMaker: 30 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 10:44 PM UTC
Hello Gents,

I too am attempting to model this interesting looking craft, but I'm trying to do mine as a card model, initially in the quite small 1/144th scale. By doing it as a card model one can rescale the parts to whatever scale you choose. I must admit I've had two or three goes at it, but each time certain parts came out the wrong size but I am not going to give up. I don't have any whizz-bang drawing programmes nor would I know how to use them anyway, so I'm drawing the parts by hand.

I have had some help with photo's from this forum I visit quite often, given that it deals with 1/144th scale ----
http://www.kampfgruppe144.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1731

This might give you some idea of a possible colour scheme.

Cheers,
Roger in OZ.
Bendigo, Australia.

"Roger's Little Ships".
Modelling Allied Light Coastal Forces and Riverine Craft.
 _GOTOTOP