_GOTOBOTTOM
Campaigns
Want to be part of a group build? This is where to start, plan, and meet about them.
dive 3 who's ready for action?
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Model Shipwrights: 142 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 09:36 AM UTC
Ahoy

The start of dive 3 is coming into reach. Just a fewmore days and it's time to get your chests wet. Here's a rollcall to check whos readyto go ...
My 1/72 VII is waiting.... let me know what you'll be building.

Brgds,
Warvos
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 11:06 AM UTC
I had hoped that the X-Craft from Italeri would be out by now, so I guess I will wait a bit before starting
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 - 11:53 AM UTC
AFV Gato Class is waiting to go.
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 - 09:26 AM UTC
thanks for the updates guys

Russ, will you be doing your Gato full hull or waterline in a dio?
Jan, didn't hear of that X-craft until now, but looks like a cool project! Wouldn't have wanted to be a crewmember in that little tin box however...
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 - 12:01 PM UTC
I'll do a full hull. My first sub build since I was 13.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Saturday, December 29, 2012 - 01:51 PM UTC
I have half a dozen 1:700 modern subs planned for this build. Couple old ARII 1:700 to be completed (started for the last Dive campaign, never finished), four other old ARII modern nuke subs (trafalgar, couple LA Class and an alfa class). I will also a hobby boss HMS Astute. If anyone wonders about the ARII kits... dont bother... even tough you get 2 for 1 (one waterlined hull) in each box, details are lacking, fit is mediocre and the new HobbyBoss offerings are much better for the same price. Cheers
HalseysBeard
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 137 posts
Model Shipwrights: 135 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 02:05 AM UTC
Can I enter this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/205001-1-350-WWII-U-BOAT-TYPE-VIIC-Full-Structure-PE-detail-model-you-never-seen-/140900085126?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ce4cad86
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 08:31 AM UTC
Tim

That's a very nice piece of art you found!
But to follow guidelines you would probably have to ask Bruce (grayghost) if you can enter this kit in to the campaign.

I'm actually even affraid to look too hard at the kit, affraid if will bend by sight only... and I'm already sweating just think about trying to start building that... pfff
:)

James, Arii is a brand which is not sold in Belgium, and I didn't find all that much info about the subs, but you could make some nice waterline dio's?
A nice waterbase distracts the viewers just long enough so they don't have their full attention to register the model's details?

Dangeroo
Visit this Community
Zurich, Switzerland
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 09:39 AM UTC
I sure am, I'll be building this little fishie. Should be a very quick build but I inted to do my first try at water...

Cheers!
Stefan
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 08:43 PM UTC
I was born ready (to quote Andy Garcia)!
Even tough I finished a number of them ever since the campaign was accepted, there are still a number of kits in my stash.
As I am tied down by a couple of magazine commissions, I can not start right away. Most likely I will get to it in early February. My stash ranges from 1/35 to 1/700, but I favour the Hobby Boss 1/350 Meng Class kit right now.

For now I am wishing you all a Happy New Year! Enjoy the evening! See you all out there on the net!
Cheers,
Guido
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 30, 2012 - 10:36 PM UTC
I have a few kits in mind, just haven't figured out which one to do. Waiting for one kit arrive (1/200 Gato) before deciding.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Monday, December 31, 2012 - 02:59 AM UTC
Not sure yet, but the 1/35th Biber or Seehund are running favourite at the moment.

Si
GaryKato
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 3,694 posts
Model Shipwrights: 167 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2013 - 09:13 PM UTC
I'd request a change of color for the number in the campaign ribbon (assuming you are using the same as DDD2). I suggest using white so it can be read.
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2013 - 10:40 AM UTC
Happy Newyear to you all!

May 2013 be filled with the smell of glue and stains of paint on your fingers all days... happy modeling and let's have fun in this campaign ( and others offcourse!)

I have a dilemma to fix before I can start with my Revell 1/72 VII. Due to economic problems I couldn't afford a new kit so I bought it from somebody on the internet for a good price.
Some work on the hull was already finished he said, and a quick look in the box confirmed this. I just now opened the box again to have another good look in bright light. for the biggest part, the lower hull is finished, but he didn't start with the deck and everything else above. torpedo tubes are in closed position, and he didn't drill open the floodholes. Worst part is that in bright light I can see glue spills on almost every part which was glued, and some pieces are not exactly glued in place in the best possible way..
So now I should first of all request permission to use this partly build kit in this campaign, with the promise that I'll probably have to detach most parts again and fix them up, and try to open all the floodholes etc in some or another way without breaking the two hull halves while trying to separate them.
Other option would be to use the hull of a previous build sub, which has been build about 6 years ago, but has by now seen it's part of household moves and cat attacks, missing several parts from the rudders, opper hull and tower. I didn't check yet, but I think the hull of the Revell's 1/72 VII first edition and the atlantic version I bought are probably the same. I would use the old hull, and mix the parts and deck and tower of the atlantic version. I would then repaint the whole old hull and new parts over in a matching scheme .
If time would permit I would also try to use the new hull and old parts in a waterline dio, where I could use watereffects and battle damage to try to disguise some of the missing parts. Using the new hull in waterline would also fix the problem with badly glued parts and gluemarks as most of the hull would have to be cut away anyway..

Bruce, would it be ok to use the partly built new kit, and in worst case the hull of a previously built kit as entry in the campaign?
If not, no worries, I still have an unstarted 1/144 VII-C in my shrinking stash.. but I'm rather keen on building 1/72...
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2013 - 06:32 PM UTC
Hello All,
I have a official thread started for this campaign also a gallery for it also in the Phot gallery, Look fot it as ! MSW Official Campaign: Dive 3.
Bjorn,
If the kit is not over 25% started (please post photo's) you are good to go.
I am locking this thread so lets move over to the Official Thread, Friday Night OK.
Cheers,
Bruce
 _GOTOTOP