_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
REVIEW
German U-XXIII Submarine
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 - 12:16 PM UTC
Darren Baker delves into a very large box to look over Bronco Models new German Type XXIII Coastal Submarine.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 20, 2013 - 03:37 AM UTC
Granted it's a big kit - about the same size as Italeri's SBoot, but also a high price for a very moderate parts count. (A Dragon AFV could have 3 times as many parts at a lower price!) Especially with the absence of weapons, etc. And, like the Seehunde sub, if you want to model it in the water, you end up cutting away about 75% of the kit. Maybe if it came with full interior...? Definately interesting, but very low on priority list.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Model Shipwrights: 88 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 21, 2013 - 03:11 PM UTC
You are the first person I have heard of who judges a model by its part count. Bronco could have puts hundreds of more parts in the box but it makes no improvement to the model. the model judging from the few pictures I looked up appears accurate to me and as such I see no need for a high part count.
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 07:14 AM UTC
Hello to all. On the contrary I like very much!!! I believe that this very correct, and the scale lends to detail to the maximum!! My only question is?? where I can buy it already!!!!! Jajajaj Darren thank you for the Review!!
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 07:20 AM UTC
The model is I believe now on general release and should hit the stores very soon, it may be worth asking a store that stocks Bronco Models if they can get it in for you if they do not have it in.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
Model Shipwrights: 306 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 09:15 AM UTC
Nice review, Squire.

I also agree that parts count is not important to me in this case: what I WOULD like to know is whether anything is behind the vents/drain holes? Subs have an outer hull (the "skin" of the vessel) and an inner hull (the pressure hull the crew live inside of). Most sub kits either have the drain holes/vents plugged up or leave you flat about a pressure hull.
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 09:47 AM UTC
Bill; the answer is some yes others no and I will be doing a build log as while I have started I took pictures while this was made live. There are some tricky areas to overcome buit all will become clear I hope!
maartenboersma
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 764 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 10:55 AM UTC
Got two of them ,they sell like hot cakes all the shops are sold out .......had get mine from Germany ,also got me the re release? of the Andrea U-boot 5 figure crew .....cant wait to start next week

U-models also have some Kriegsmarine figures
http://www.u-models.com/

AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 09:59 PM UTC
Hi Darren,

Likely to be popular. The only thing that stands out is the molded handle on the inside of the hatch in the conning tower. Would have been better as a separate item for greater detail.

It is good to see another manufacturer entering the 1/35 scale ship/boat arena.

Lots of good German Crew around already too.

Al
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 23, 2013 - 10:54 PM UTC
Good review Darren,
Looks like a "must have" item for the stash.
Probably needs some work and detailing but the base to work from is there. Like it a lot.
Julian
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 24, 2013 - 08:29 AM UTC
Very good review & great looking kit. Definitely up for at least 1.

Si
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 07:20 AM UTC
I agree that a high parts count isn't what's relevant, and in fact can make it very hard to work with a kit depending on the size of the parts. There is no reason to add extra parts when the detail can be cast in with excellent fidelity, which makes the final build stronger.

As far as the price goes, I think it may be a little high but is about what we expected. Keep in mind that the 1/72 Revell Gato and U-Boat kits were around this price, and they did not include any kind of interiors. The price honestly is fair, and hopefully will come down a little bit after volume picks up.

What would be a nice option is if Bronco would consider releasing a waterline-only model for those who can't or don't want to pay the price of the full kit. This would allow more flexibility and allow people to purchase it for diorama purposes without having to feel remorse for buying the whole kit and discarding part of it.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 04:22 PM UTC
Thanks for this review, I am really looking forward to your build. IMHO the number of parts doesn't factor into a kit's attractiveness. What matters is whether they've included enough detail, and captured the overall appearance. The only thing in this kit I've seen that would have been better as a separate part is the wheel on the inside of the hatch. As for price, it seems fair, compared to other kits of Naval craft available in this scale and of comparable size. I think Bronco has a winner. Al
CMOT
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 07:59 PM UTC
I have now started the build and uploaded pictures of it to this site, please feel free to critic.
MrHandley
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 05:26 AM UTC
I've just recieved mine from Hannants in the UK. It's a very big model,and although the Revell Gato and type VII were big,this model really has a presence! Although I read the size before buying I hadn't realised just what a huge scale 1/35th is when it comes to boats.But that makes it more interesting and far more fun if like me you're finding 1/72nd a strain on the eyes.
MrHandley
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 - 05:38 AM UTC
I've laid the parts out on the floor and now feel like a murderer who doesn't know what to do with the body! I'm sure the Mrs will grow to lke it once I've poured some wine.
 _GOTOTOP