_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Battleships
Topics from the Dreadnaught era to modern day.
Hosted by Steve Joyce
p.e
johnmallam
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 98 posts
Model Shipwrights: 61 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 07:39 PM UTC
hi guys can you please help i have photo etch parts from white ensign its set pe 3553 for 1/350 new jersey and in it there are hose reels 2 sizes, cable and hawser reels also fire hose points can these be put anywhere or are there certain places they must go as instruction booklet dont say hope you can help thanks john
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 08:05 PM UTC
Have you tried finding some reference photos on line John?
A quick bit of "Googling" often can be a great help for these things.Stay tuned here at MSW as well, the inhabitants are generally a very helpful bunch.
Cheers,
Julian
johnmallam
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 08:13 PM UTC
hi julian i am a new modeller and dont know to much about what sort of web sites to be looking for so, please dont think i am trying to get other people to do my research for me it just a lack of knowledge from me thanks john
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 08:35 PM UTC
No sweat sir
Julian
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 16, 2013 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

hi guys can you please help i have photo etch parts from white ensign its set pe 3553 for 1/350 new jersey and in it there are hose reels 2 sizes, cable and hawser reels also fire hose points can these be put anywhere or are there certain places they must go as instruction booklet dont say hope you can help thanks john

Hi John.

Welcome to MSW.

If you look carefully through the Tamiya instructions there should be some hose reels there that may help show you where the PE ones go. Otherwise there are heaps of pictures online of the actual ship, or you can go to the Pontos website and have a look at the instructions for their New Jersey PE set which may have them shown there.

Cheers
Warren
johnmallam
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, March 17, 2013 - 12:38 AM UTC
thamks warren and julian for all your help i am looking into it now so should be able to sort it out from here cheers
britbitter
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Model Shipwrights: 55 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 05:50 AM UTC
I am working the same model but have the pontos up detail pe set. I found this site www.colosseumbuilders.com/john/nj that has the most wonderful photos for this sort of thing. In fact it verified that Tamiya has it wrong when it comes to the color on the forward end of the rangefinders on the big guns. Tamiya says the color should be metallic grey but you can see in the photos that they are clearly brass of a coppery color so that's how I painted them. It's the tiniest detail on what I'm sure is a horrendous build but it made me happy to find it.

I've been having trouble painting (doing the aft end) and I have discovered that thinning that Tamiya Acrylic and using multiple coats relieves a lot of the sloppy paint lines I've been getting.
Anyhow I'm on to the forward main deck area. I've scraped off all the anchor chains and the bitts along the gunwale. Next I'll put on the pe, kit chocks and such, spray the whole thing haze grey. After it's dry I'll paint any non wood deck that needs it before I cut and place the wood. I don't know if it's the right thing to do but I'm going to wait on the decals because I'm going to coat the whole shebang with gloss cote before I put the decals down. Then I'll put on dull cote to restore the matte finish. I've read from Mike Ashey (btw you GOTTA read his book online so you'll know just how inferior we are) that this prevents the decals from being shiny.

Cheers
John
britbitter
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 55 posts
Model Shipwrights: 55 posts
Posted: Monday, March 18, 2013 - 05:53 AM UTC
Also you will find that there are firehoses wrapped on the breakwater or flemished just aft of it. Hope that helps.
johnmallam
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 19, 2013 - 01:28 PM UTC
thank you both very much guys theres a lot more work in this model making than i first thought best wishes john just looked at that web site you recommended john its great i have seen a few things already that i will need to change on my build in about 5 mins so as i go through them more closely i might see other bits to alter it also brings the model to life seeing the real thing a thousand thank mate john m
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2013 - 02:09 PM UTC
to avoid any future hassles with PE, most times, if there isnt instructions on where a part goes, it is because it is there to replace an original. so, keep that in mind
 _GOTOTOP