MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Model Shipwrights: 255 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 - 06:07 AM UTC
OK, I'm stumped. I'm getting started on the Italeri PT 109 and am trying to mask off the waterline for painting. I CANNOT figure out how to do it right, especially the transition from the essentially vertical hull sides to the bow area below the chine. Can anyone help with some pointers? Like where should that transition occur (how far from the stern), how to make a "straight" line on the concave surface, etc.?

Thanks!

Michael
Robbd01
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
Model Shipwrights: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 - 06:12 AM UTC
Look for (google or ebay) a waterline marker tool. Also scroll through this link:

https://archive.kitmaker.net/forums/202180
MichaelSatin
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,909 posts
Model Shipwrights: 255 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 - 08:06 AM UTC
That's the ticket Robb, thanks! I knew I saw a cheap and easy idea in a thread somewhere around here.

Michael
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 - 09:12 AM UTC
For what it's worth, I essentially masked my 1/72nd build by hand. After some trial and error, I wound up starting and ending my masking on each side at the point that the waterline made the transition across the chine from the vertical hull sides to the planing surfaces. It winds up being a pretty angular shift, so starting the tape right at the edge of the chine and working fore/aft from there worked for me. I might have some photos that I shot at the time, but not on me right now.
Weebles
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, July 05, 2013 - 04:47 PM UTC
You'll enjoy this. I watched a video of how they painted the boats at the Elco plant. The hull bottom was painted anti fouling red first. Then a guy with a big sheet of something roughly 3' x 3' made of rigid material walked along the side of the boat holding it against the hull while the painter followed him along with his spray gun and painted the hull above the sheet. No masking. No lines. He just walked along and held up the sheet at the same height. I was amazed. It was effective and did the job. I don't suggest this technique on your model though.
Dave
Kornbeef
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Model Shipwrights: 39 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 11, 2013 - 06:40 PM UTC
This maybe the one you mean Michael. I'm building mine but a long way from this yet. Not the part I'm looking forwards to.
http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/202180&page=1

Keith
 _GOTOTOP