_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Schnellboot Questions
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 254 posts
Model Shipwrights: 10 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hello, being an armour modeler I don't have any referance on this subject wondering if anyone can help me out with a few questions I have about the 1/35 scale Schnellboat S-100.

I see there are a number of aftermarket items out there for this kit, I was planning on getting the Eduard photoetch set, and the Mastermodeler barrel set for the guns.

What about the MasterCaster Skullcap bridge conversion. Is it nessarry for the Marking options provided with the kit?

Also not sure wheather to go with the Depth Charges or the mines from Schatton Modellbau set of mines is preety pricey (70 euro) compared to the Depth Charges (12 euro) which was more commonly carried?

Thanks in advance for you input.

Regards,
Rod
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 07:12 AM UTC
As I remember it, the replacement "skull cap" just addresses some missing details, rivets I think, on the original kit part. Lacking any detection gear, I wouldn't think the S-boats would have been very effective as ASW platforms. US boats carried depth charges mainly to discourage pursuit by destroyers. Don't know if the Germans used them for the same reason. IMHO, the mines simply look more interesting than the DC's. Will look forward to seeing your build. Al
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 07:27 AM UTC
Hello Rod,

Are you familiar with this site:

http://www.prinzeugen.com/

A lot of visual reference to help you out if you do
not have any books on the subject.

For any other questions, do not hestitae to ask here.

As far as the skull cap...not really necessary as Al said,
just some minor details.

Depth charge version, in my opinion.

Cheers,
Joe
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 09:47 AM UTC
Dave Krakow, the owner of the prinzeugen site, has just revised the Squadron Schnellboot in Action monograph. Far better than the original two-author 2003 version, it has an additional 22 pages, 40+ additional photos, and lots of excellent new drawings. Should give you some good ideas.

Al Ross
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 10:34 AM UTC
Hello Al,

I have just picked up the revised version, and indeed excellent.

Cheers,
Joe
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 02:43 AM UTC
Hi Rod!!! Do not forget this....

Friend I do not believe it is necessary to change the shielding of the cabin into a few clinches!!! But everyone has his hobbyhorse!! Jajajajja Worry on that in the Channel putting dangerously!!!

Regards Daniel
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 04:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rod!!! Do not forget this....

Friend I do not believe it is necessary to change the shielding of the cabin into a few clinches!!! But everyone has his hobbyhorse!! Jajajajja Worry on that in the Channel putting dangerously!!!

Regards Daniel

Hi Daniel,

No I didn't forget the figures just don't know how I am going to display the model yet. Sure glad I got a deal on the kit cause the aftermarket stuff and reference is going to put a serious dent in my modeling budget.

I did pull the hull out of the box to see if it would fit in my display cabinet and it just does so it's going to have to go on the base supplied or a very small diorama base or I will be building a new cabinet .

Al Joe and Al,

Thanks for the info I'll have to see if my LHS has the new Squadron book they tend to stock those, the other stuff I'll have to pick up on line. I think I'll pass on the Skullcap Bridge replacement and have to look over the book and website to decide on where to go with the Mines or Charges. The Mines defiantly look cool.

Regards,

Rod
DanielMoscatelli
Visit this Community
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
Model Shipwrights: 941 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 07:41 AM UTC
Jejeje Friend Rod!!! ... yes its very big, but i love it. If our ladies find out of what we spend in our hobby I believe that MSW would remain without modelers!!!! Jajajaj Am to the order for what it could help!!!

Regards Daniel
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
Model Shipwrights: 386 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 07:52 AM UTC
Hi Rod,
Forget the Schatton mines! They are of russian origin and found in polish arsenals by the KM, used until 1940/41. There were definitely NO mines of this type layed by S-100 boats. Schatton has a nice Reißboje to be combined with Mastercasters EMC mines.
https://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/130092&page=1

Michael
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Rod,
Forget the Schatton mines! They are of russian origin and found in polish arsenals by the KM, used until 1940/41. There were definitely NO mines of this type layed by S-100 boats. Schatton has a nice Reißboje to be combined with Mastercasters EMC mines.
https://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/130092&page=1

Michael

Hi Michael, I did start to go though that 54 page monster but there are a lot of missing pictures and broken links, gave it up. So are the Cammett mines any better? don't know if ScaleMaster is going to release them or not.

Rod
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 - 02:41 PM UTC
...the Cammett mine isn't better. Schattons mine is nice, but simply the wrong type for an S-100!
I don't know, if the Cammett is just available; this EMC mine in combination with the Schatton Reißboje will be the correct load for the S-100.

Michael
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 06:58 AM UTC
Hi Michael,

Can you tell me where the

" EMC mine in combination with the Schatton Reißboje "

is available from,

Regards Kev

PS The Cammett accessories are not available any more.
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 08:44 AM UTC
exCammett parts/forms went to Mastercasters; hope the mine will be available again! The Reissboje can be ordered directly from Schatton:

http://www.modellbau-schatton.privat.t-online.de

Michael
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 09:10 AM UTC
Thanks Michael
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 11:39 AM UTC
Italeri is advertising a PRM edition of the Schnellboote, presumably PRM stands for 'Premium'. Anyone know what makes this any different/better than the original release? Al
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 193 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 17, 2013 - 07:08 PM UTC
Hello Rod and welcome to the wonderful world of the S-boat Building (correction).

A question upfront, what is your objective? Just to super the boat or also correct it? Or both?

For the last I can only recommend to benefit from the long and sometimes diapointing learning Curve from Arian and Robert who started a thread. And while after while it became an obsession and measures were exchanged etc. http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/130092&page=1

Robert Palmacci is the guy you need to talk to when it comes to correcting a few thing on the boat, he – prominent researcher and contributor in the thread I mentioned above -has quite a bunch of plans with the correct measures for 2 to 5 EUR each – easy Business case for you., You can view the evolvement of the boat here: http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/130092&page=1

Here is Robert site with the plans: http://rpalmacci.free.fr/ Attention there are 2 pages, scroll to the very bottom.

The main corrections I did as a RTC modeler, depression rail, ammo boxes (standing not laying), Front gun correcting the diameter. MG15 Gunn holders. Number or rescue items, vents, diesel hoses., Telephone Boxe, Naxo, etc….

One of Robert plans Including the measures of the enlarged 3,7 Flak shield. Eduard etch parts are good, but made the shield to thin and to large. It will work only when you reduce the kitchen chimney on the SB side.

The cammet and now master model Karlotte is wrong by the measures, stick to the one from Italeri
EMC Mines are offered by Andrea Minatures in 1:32, 17 € each I think is worthwhile as the mine look much better: http://www.andreaeurope.com/en/3/access ... -mine.html

The rest of Eduard can be used, you definitely need gun barrels, if you order depth charges from Schatton, you can also order the set of Flak barrels from Schatton – saves money.

Regarding the crew, my Italeri commander of the 8 Schnellbootflotille is sitting on the chair in the bridge (need to be corrected – plan available from Robert), and another captain (available from you u-model or royal model: http://www.royalmodel.com/it/catalogo_dettaglio.php?id_art=586 )

As you can see, quite a portfolio from which you can select. Coming back to the initial question: What is your objective?

Bis denne

Christian
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Friday, October 18, 2013 - 02:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Rod and welcome to the wonderful world of the S-boat Building (correction).

A question upfront, what is your objective? Just to super the boat or also correct it? Or both?

For the last I can only recommend to benefit from the long and sometimes diapointing learning Curve from Arian and Robert who started a thread. And while after while it became an obsession and measures were exchanged etc. http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/130092&page=1

Robert Palmacci is the guy you need to talk to when it comes to correcting a few thing on the boat, he – prominent researcher and contributor in the thread I mentioned above -has quite a bunch of plans with the correct measures for 2 to 5 EUR each – easy Business case for you., You can view the evolvement of the boat here: http://modelshipwrights.kitmaker.net/forums/130092&page=1

Here is Robert site with the plans: http://rpalmacci.free.fr/ Attention there are 2 pages, scroll to the very bottom.

The main corrections I did as a RTC modeler, depression rail, ammo boxes (standing not laying), Front gun correcting the diameter. MG15 Gunn holders. Number or rescue items, vents, diesel hoses., Telephone Boxe, Naxo, etc….

One of Robert plans Including the measures of the enlarged 3,7 Flak shield. Eduard etch parts are good, but made the shield to thin and to large. It will work only when you reduce the kitchen chimney on the SB side.

The cammet and now master model Karlotte is wrong by the measures, stick to the one from Italeri
EMC Mines are offered by Andrea Minatures in 1:32, 17 € each I think is worthwhile as the mine look much better: http://www.andreaeurope.com/en/3/access ... -mine.html

The rest of Eduard can be used, you definitely need gun barrels, if you order depth charges from Schatton, you can also order the set of Flak barrels from Schatton – saves money.

Regarding the crew, my Italeri commander of the 8 Schnellbootflotille is sitting on the chair in the bridge (need to be corrected – plan available from Robert), and another captain (available from you u-model or royal model: http://www.royalmodel.com/it/catalogo_dettaglio.php?id_art=586 )

As you can see, quite a portfolio from which you can select. Coming back to the initial question: What is your objective?

Bis denne

Christian

Thanks Christian,

I am not really a rivet counter (not sure if the term applies here I think it's a term Armour Modelers use).

What I am trying to accomplish is a reasonable scale replica of the original, The Euard set seems to improve on some of the softer details in the kit. Yes the metal barrels are an improvement over the plastic ones supplied by Italeri.

Quite frankly I don't think I have the skills, time or the reference to do a major rework of the kit. If there are commercially available items which improve the accuracy and appearance of the model I am interested depending on the cost of course.

So far from the poking around I have done it looks like I want to use the Eduard Set, Modelmaster Barrel set for sure, I am on the fence about the new SkullCap bridge from MasterModel, I would also prefer to have the EMC Mines just like the look of them over the Depth Charges.

You Mention that Andrea Minatures does 1/32 scale EMS mines I’ll take a look at those but would the not be oversized for this kit?

Regards,
Rod
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hi all,
AFV Club is going to deliver a german sea mine in 1:35!
http://armorama.com/forums/214478&page=1

Michael
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 06:31 AM UTC
Thanks Michael now that looks pretty cool indeed.

Cheers

Sean
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 09:20 AM UTC
Would these be the correct type for a S-100?

Regards,

Rod
Gotrek58
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 2013 - 09:37 AM UTC
It's an EMC-type and therefore the right mine for an S-100. The Schatton mine is a type of russian origin (M 08/39), captured in polish arsenals 1939 by the KM and "delivered" until 1941. There are several pics of this type, loaded on early S-boats in Ostende harbour.

Michael
sherman-vc
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 03:28 AM UTC
MMMM makes you wonder if AFV club is coming out with a Schnellboot. Kind of did something similar when they came out with the Walker bulldog, and the Centurion kits, released suspension kits first as upgrades to existing kits on the market then released the complete kits.

Regards,
Rod
xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 193 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 03:40 AM UTC
That would be a nice idea to have more S-Boats around. If at all it should be an S18 or S38 type to add some variance, another S100 with some other details will not enter the market with profit.

But I do not recognize AVF as the producer of large maodel piece. From the production point of view the mould for the hull is quite a challenge.

Well I would like to see different channelboats as the model so I keep my fingers crossed.

bis denne
Christian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 14, 2013 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

MMMM makes you wonder if AFV club is coming out with a Schnellboot. Kind of did something similar when they came out with the Walker bulldog, and the Centurion kits, released suspension kits first as upgrades to existing kits on the market then released the complete kits.

Regards,
Rod

It's a possibility I suppose. I've wondered if or when someone else would jump on the bandwagon. 1/35 naval craft have been pretty popular lately and there are still a lot of subjects to chose from. Italeri and Trumpeter have concentrated on WW2, but I think craft from other eras, such as a Vietnam war River Monitor, PACV Hovercraft, or PCF 'Swift' boat, would sell. Not to mention the more modern fast attack craft, such as those used by the USN SEALS. The Italeri Schnellboot kit is of the later S-100 type, the earlier S-38 type without the armored 'Kulotte' would be welcomed by many modelers. I for one would like a WW1 Thornycroft MTB, the 'grandaddy' of them all. Al
 _GOTOTOP