_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
1/350 LHD Kearsarge
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 662 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 12:14 PM UTC
My original intention was going to just be one ship build. My 1/350 Musashi is nearly done, but i found this gem on the e-bay machine at a good price. So....it looks like i will be doing one more.
This is the Gallery Models LHD 1 Wasp, but im going to convert it to the LHD 3 Kearsarge. During my time in the Marines, i spent over 6 months on this ship, so i wanted to replicate the one i know.
I plan on doing as much PE that i can, as well as lighting with other possible modifications.

As always, this is one of the half dozen or so kits that i have in progress, so pictures may come slow. but, since the start is mostly construction, i am lucky enough to be able to do stuff like that at work.
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 12:34 PM UTC
I will be following this build. I have the same kit with White Ensign PE sets - landing craft, airwing and the ship.

I served on the USS ESSEX CVS-9 and the USS ESSEX Association now includes the ESSEX LHD-2, so naturally I will be building it as Essex. Should be very similar to Wasp LHD-1 with not too many modifications other than markings for the ship and air groups.

Good luck with your build. I'll be watching with great interest. I plan on starting mine in the fall when I get my 1/700 ESSEX CV-9 as commissioned completed.

EJ
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 12, 2014 - 01:22 PM UTC
i agree. the only difference, other than airwing of course, is ship markings. but, i am part of the uss kearsarge group on face book, so i can get pictures of anything, such as markings, quite easily.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014 - 06:30 AM UTC
Started a bit of work. since there is going to be lighting, i have planning that i have to do, but i am itching to start work on this, so i started with something i knew would be fine for the moment.

There is always putty work. my fav :/

before

after

melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 01:19 AM UTC
i am contemplating as to whether or not i will have the deck of the ship, removable to see the interior. plus, i have not done any mocking up of all of the major components to see if it is even possible. in the case that it is possible, i am doing some scratchwork to fill any holes that there may be from the top down so that there are not any voids....

as an after thought, i took the picture on a sheet of styrene, i didnt expect the part i created, to blend in so well with the sheet that this is sitting on.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 - 08:50 AM UTC
hangar deck, and lower vehicle areas have been assembled, minus the cabinets/lockers. will start painting tonight.

trahe
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,158 posts
Model Shipwrights: 117 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 01:26 AM UTC
Lookng good so far. I have same kit and am interested in lighting it up, as well. I am using luminous film to light the hangar bay of a Nimitz class CVN I am working on right now, but thinking LEDs might be more appropriate for the LHD. Will be interested to see your solution.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 16, 2014 - 05:44 AM UTC
the lighting should be no issue at all. there is going to be plenty of places to hide the light, but still get the ambient light to light up the interior.
i have been thinking hard about how to create the runway lights and other exterior lights, but im not sure if that will be feasible.

melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 17, 2014 - 03:59 AM UTC
one word--tedious

_GOTOTOP