WEM Colourcoats down under
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,777 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 10:28 PM UTC
Hi everyone!

Just wondering if anyone else is feeling the pinch now that WEM aren't able to post out colourcoats to overseas destinations?

Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
Model Shipwrights: 871 posts
Posted: Monday, April 28, 2014 - 11:25 PM UTC
Hi Russell,
I have never seen them for sale this side of the Tasman but I would like to try them. Certainly the Aussie mail order shops just have them on "backorder" now so you maybe right about the UK postage issue. I am going to London in a month so if anyone knows where you can buy them there I will grab some.

cheers
michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 12:09 AM UTC
Hi Michael

I've always ordered direct from WEM using their mail order service or from BNA model-whichever was cheaper according to the exchange rate.

I've always been happy with the product & the colours are spot on. I have a small stash left (enough to complete the Prinz Eugen & KGV , I hope) but after that I'm out.

Local stockists are in pretty much the same predicament.

It's definitely a postage issue: WEM have stated on their website that due to Royal Mail no longer shipping solvents they can't send colour coats over seas.

You could mail order some before you go & have them delivered to an address in the UK I'm guessing.

I also looked at bulk shipping, but would need to order about £1000 of paint to be viable. Which is a lot of paint!!!
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 01:51 AM UTC
Ahoy Russell,
I hear you....same with cross border shipping between USA & CANADA via Air but
you figure put it on a truck? NO, USPS no longer offers ground service into CANADA!

I wonder if WEM will ship overseas via ground service(well by boat, in your case)
to a hobby shop that carries the paint and is wiling to order a good amount.

Hope you find a solution,

Cheers,
Joe

ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 02:35 AM UTC
Sure seems like a good way to kill off a business furnishing a great product. Glad I stocked up here in the US a couple years ago.

EJ
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 06:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy Russell,
I hear you....same with cross border shipping between USA & CANADA via Air but
you figure put it on a truck? NO, USPS no longer offers ground service into CANADA!

I wonder if WEM will ship overseas via ground service(well by boat, in your case)
to a hobby shop that carries the paint and is wiling to order a good amount.

Hope you find a solution,

Cheers,
Joe

Hi Joe

WEM will indeed ship via land/sea, but to make it viable you need to order around 1000GBP of paint. The thing is, suddenly solvents are a dirty word when it comes to postal services and they won't carry them. To transport OS you need to get a permit and only certain freight companies will transport it.
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 06:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sure seems like a good way to kill off a business furnishing a great product. Glad I stocked up here in the US a couple years ago.

EJ

It sure is Eugene. I don't know what the answer is, but I like Michael's idea of a trip to the UK to stock up. Just hope that you can bring them back in your luggage...

The only other alternative is to get enough people to put in an order to make it work...
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, April 29, 2014 - 06:09 PM UTC
I suppose WEM could always consider acrylics???
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 08:15 AM UTC
Ahoy Russell

Its a tough situation for sure.

Not a surprise I have been aware of the difficulty of shipping solvents out of the UK and some other countries for awhile.

I suppose WEM could consider redesignating them as "acrylics" as I understand many consider Tamiyas acrylics are more an "acrylic lacquer" than a straight acrylic.

Good luck in your quest.

Cheers

Sean
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 10:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Michael

I've always ordered direct from WEM using their mail order service or from BNA model-whichever was cheaper according to the exchange rate.

I've always been happy with the product & the colours are spot on. I have a small stash left (enough to complete the Prinz Eugen & KGV , I hope) but after that I'm out.

Local stockists are in pretty much the same predicament.

It's definitely a postage issue: WEM have stated on their website that due to Royal Mail no longer shipping solvents they can't send colour coats over seas.

You could mail order some before you go & have them delivered to an address in the UK I'm guessing.

I also looked at bulk shipping, but would need to order about £1000 of paint to be viable. Which is a lot of paint!!!

So can you only get WEM paints by mail order? Does anybody know if a LHS stocks them, especially in the London area. The only model shop I know of is Hannants out in Colindale but they don't seem to stock WEM paints, probably because they can't ship them. Getting paint mailed to a hotel may be problematic.
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, April 30, 2014 - 11:11 PM UTC
You could always try contacting WEM and see if they know of any stockists, Michael. Or, if you can swing by and pick some up direct...
Cosimodo
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 01:16 PM UTC
Hi Russell,
Good news for us antipodeans. This from the latest Creative Models Australia newsletter

WEM PAINT SHIPMENTS HAVE BEGUN AGAIN!
After much investigation (and headaches) we are pleased to announce that we have found a solution to shipping WEM paints under the Dangerous Goods (DG) Act and will have a shipment on its way shortly which will not only fill backorders but also increase our stock levels.

cheers
Michael
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, May 05, 2014 - 06:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russell,
Good news for us antipodeans. This from the latest Creative Models Australia newsletter

WEM PAINT SHIPMENTS HAVE BEGUN AGAIN!
After much investigation (and headaches) we are pleased to announce that we have found a solution to shipping WEM paints under the Dangerous Goods (DG) Act and will have a shipment on its way shortly which will not only fill backorders but also increase our stock levels.

cheers
Michael

Hooray! That's fantastic news Michael!

now we just need kitmaker to get the email alerts for posts going again and the world will be put to rights
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 06:40 AM UTC
Truth of the matter is that we have to use a courier service for international shipments, and the cost is prohibitive to all except dealers who can order in quantities sufficient to make it pay. So find a dealer down under and have them contact us....
RussellE
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 09:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Truth of the matter is that we have to use a courier service for international shipments, and the cost is prohibitive to all except dealers who can order in quantities sufficient to make it pay. So find a dealer down under and have them contact us....

I think that's what Creative Models have done, John. It sure has relieved the stress knowing we can get colour coats again down under
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 04:08 PM UTC
Well this just more postal system (Gouvernment)...BULL!

Shipping by courrier suddenly makes the paint

"non dangerous material and goods"???

....it still gets put on a plane.

Go figure.

Cheers,
Joe
 _GOTOTOP