_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Question
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 06:18 AM UTC
Hello,

I have a question, or a few questions about R/C-ing a 1:48 PT kit into a R/C model.

One: Can it be done?

Two: Could I use a R/C transmitter/receiver from a 1984 LINDBERG PT-109 kit?

Three: If THAT's possible, does anyone make electric motors small enough to fit in the hull?

If anyone knows these things (and know how to do it) please email me at [email protected] or if you know my email address, please email me.

The reason why I asked about the R/C transmitter/receiver is because I have one that was used just once in 1985 and never used again .... I am trying to save as much money as I can ...

Or, plan B, ... regarding my 1984/85 LINDBERG PT model? It has a huge (but glued up) crack in the transom (by the mufflers) ... could I just have someone resin the inside and use the model?

Please - someone tell me?

Thank you.

Garth
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2014 - 10:47 AM UTC
Hi Garth,

I've dabbled in radio control boats.
If your thinking of anything like scale speed you have no chance.
The displacement of PT109 is given as 56tons which scales to 1.1 lbs or 0.5 kgs. I bet the model weighs this without any equipment.

In the old days you used to see the Airfix Vosper motorised with a servo motor but definitely not scale speed.

As far as I'm aware the smallest scale practical for scale R/C is 1/35 and even then all the ones I have seen float deeper in the water than in real life.

Hope this helps

Cheers Kev
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2014 - 05:04 AM UTC
Thanks Kev,

I don't really care about scale-speed ... I just want something to do while we're up here .............. Ya know?

xrz100
Visit this Community
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 193 posts
Model Shipwrights: 186 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 06:34 AM UTC
Hello Garth.

let's outline afew options.

Ficing the old 109 with a grack in the transom. No problem, Some polysterol and superglue from behind and than if you can remove the mufflers, some putty from the outside, sanding, new color: done, the low level fix is just some polysterol from the inseide with superglue.

1:48 RC
The weight problem is not the transmitter, insead the accu and engine. yu have the follwoing options:

1: 3 engine: Difficult with the weight, you need three small Brsuhless engines robby roxxy 1825 http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/387461/Robbe-1-4939-ROXXY-BL-Outrunner-181525-Umin-pro-Volt-Turns?queryFromSuggest=true with 13 g of weight. 3 engines plus 3 controlers, and one 6v lipo with maybe 1800 Amph http://www.conrad.de/ce/de/product/239509/Hacker-25-C-LiPo-Akku-111-V-1800-mAh-Stecksystem-EC3-XH?ref=searchDetail comes with 144 g. with 2 blade race props this should give your boat a nive speed and the boat should raise from the water

Option 2: 1 Engine, with a larger Lipo and a 3 Blade prop

Option 2 is in between, you know the pattern....

bis denne

Christian
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, May 31, 2014 - 10:12 AM UTC
Thank you Christian, ... I'll definitely look into it ..........
Longshanks8
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 430 posts
Model Shipwrights: 390 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 01, 2014 - 12:07 AM UTC
Hi Garth,

This link might help you

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47496.0/topicseen.html

Cheers Kev
 _GOTOTOP