_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
New book about PTs by the son of a PTer
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 02:28 AM UTC
A Review of Allan L. Lawrence, Jr.'s
Deadly PT Boat Patrols, A History: Task Group 50.1 New Guinea 1942-43
-By-
T. Garth Connelly

This rather lengthy book, according to the author, who is the son of a crew member of PT-113, began life as a brief story about the Colt Model 1911 pistol which his father carried during World War II, and carried in a homemade leather gun belt made by his father.

The book gives the reader a detailed and seemingly well-researched overview of what the world was going through in the decade before and leading up to World War II. It was all very interesting, especially when one stops to consider that the author describes his father's life growing up, as member of the lifesaving service, a deputy police officer and a fireman and then, as a merchant seaman and to his enlistment in the Navy.

The author also describes to the reader how the USN acquired and converted a private yacht into the USS Hilo, one of the first PT boat Tenders. I found that to be interesting, inasmuch I was not aware of that ship's history.

Early in his naval career, the elder Lawrence was assigned to a type of vessel known as an Eagle Boat. This type of vessel was an anti-submarine vessel designed in the First World War. They were designed to be mass-produced like automobiles and their hulls did not have any curved lines to them. These ships were not that comfortable to go to sea on.

It was from this ship that the author's father was ordered to the PT Training Center at Melville, Rhode Island and as they say, the rest is history. Through his father's memories and other PT veterans' memories as well as his father's letters home, Lawrence deftly tells, in great detail, the history of what was known as Task Group 50.1.

This group consisted of boats from the original PT Squadron 2, which were sent to New Guinea, where they saw considerable action against the Japanese. Much of that history was told by the memories of the author's father and other PT veterans. For me, that made the book more compelling and more 'real' rather than the typical dry-history books.

The two things from the book which stayed with me long after reading this book was how the author describes how some PT boats, including his father's boat, the PT-113, transited the Cape Cod Canal from Melville, Rhode Island enroute to Martha's Vineyard.

Apparently, these boats caused some property damage to private property along the canal because no one on the boats knew if there was a speed limit in the canal. That must have been a sight to see. Once in port at Martha's Vineyard, in Edgartown Harbor, the 113 accidentally dropped two depth charges over the side.

If you want to know about a little known but important part of PT boat history, then look no further than this book. I highly recommend this book. The book is available soft cover at $39.95.  It will be available soon in a limited numbered edition hard bound at $49.95.  Both can be ordered directly from Mr. Lawrence at his email address of: [email protected].
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 12:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

-By-
T. Garth Connelly

This rather lengthy book, according to the author, who is the son of a crew member of PT-113, began life as a brief story about the Colt Model 1911 pistol which his father carried during World War II, and carried in a homemade leather gun belt made by his father.

The book gives the reader a detailed and seemingly well-researched overview of what the world was going through in the decade before and leading up to World War II. It was all very interesting, especially when one stops to consider that the author describes his father's life growing up, as member of the lifesaving service, a deputy police officer and a fireman and then, as a merchant seaman and to his enlistment in the Navy.

The author also describes to the reader how the USN acquired and converted a private yacht into the USS Hilo, one of the first PT boat Tenders. I found that to be interesting, inasmuch I was not aware of that ship's history.

Early in his naval career, the elder Lawrence was assigned to a type of vessel known as an Eagle Boat. This type of vessel was an anti-submarine vessel designed in the First World War. They were designed to be mass-produced like automobiles and their hulls did not have any curved lines to them. These ships were not that comfortable to go to sea on.

It was from this ship that the author's father was ordered to the PT Training Center at Melville, Rhode Island and as they say, the rest is history. Through his father's memories and other PT veterans' memories as well as his father's letters home, Lawrence deftly tells, in great detail, the history of what was known as Task Group 50.1.

This group consisted of boats from the original PT Squadron 2, which were sent to New Guinea, where they saw considerable action against the Japanese. Much of that history was told by the memories of the author's father and other PT veterans. For me, that made the book more compelling and more 'real' rather than the typical dry-history books.

The two things from the book which stayed with me long after reading this book was how the author describes how some PT boats, including his father's boat, the PT-113, transited the Cape Cod Canal from Melville, Rhode Island enroute to Martha's Vineyard.

Apparently, these boats caused some property damage to private property along the canal because no one on the boats knew if there was a speed limit in the canal. That must have been a sight to see. Once in port at Martha's Vineyard, in Edgartown Harbor, the 113 accidentally dropped two depth charges over the side.

If you want to know about a little known but important part of PT boat history, then look no further than this book. I highly recommend this book. The book is available soft cover at $39.95.  It will be available soon in a limited numbered edition hard bound at $49.95.  Both can be ordered directly from Mr. Lawrence at his email address of: [email protected].
size=1 color=#353535>

I've tried contacting him at the e-mail address indicated, but the mail service indicates it is not a valid address. Any suggestions?

EJ
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 10:15 AM UTC
Hi ...

That's the address I have for him ... see here:

[email protected],

I'll email him your issue and will see if my email will go through ... failing that, give me a couple of days and I'll ask my brother to call him.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 10:21 AM UTC
I sent the below to his private email and cc his work address as well:

Al,

A man had an issue with contacting you, he said that his email to you was bounced back because it was an invalid address. See below:

Eugene J Schmidt

CALLSIGN:

ejhammer

Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 89 posts
Model Shipwrights: 75 posts

HIDE THIS AREA

PHOTOS

HIDE USER

REPLY & QUOTE

ejhammer (Eugene J Schmidt) saysSHOW MORE INFO

Posted: Sunday, June 22, 2014 - 07:44 PM GMT

Quoted Text
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-By-
T. Garth Connelly

If you want to know about a little known but important part of PT boat history, then look no further than this book. I highly recommend this book. The book is available soft cover at $39.95. It will be available soon in a limited numbered edition hard bound at $49.95. Both can be ordered directly from Mr. Lawrence at his email address of: [email protected].
size=1 color=#353535>

I've tried contacting him at the e-mail address indicated, but the mail service indicates it is not a valid address. Any suggestions?

EJ

T. "Tim" Garth Connelly
www.ptboatworld.com

TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 10:54 AM UTC
EJ,

My email to him went through ... I would say try it again.
ejhammer
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 136 posts
Posted: Saturday, November 15, 2014 - 07:02 AM UTC
Got ahold of him a while back, got the book and have read it through. Great read - filled with action and the detailed mundane data required of US Naval life. As an ex Navy man, lover of everything nautical and especially the US Navy, I was very pleased with this read. He has a new book coming out soon - "EMPIRE RISING".

I'm on the waiting list.

EJ
 _GOTOTOP