_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Small Craft
For topics on PT boats, landing craft, Vietnam riverine, etc.
Garth's Merit PT kit
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 07:31 AM UTC
Hello All,

I'm going to make you a promise.

When I get around to getting the sample kit that I received from Merit over to my modeler, Stanley Pienkowski, I will ask him if he'd email me updates that will contain his take on the kit as well as photos of the progress on it.

But, I am going to ask you for your patience and understanding in that regard because Stan is not that computer savvy and needs to rely on his adult son Allan to take the digital photos ... and I'm not that "learned" either in the ways of embedding photos in posts.

But, I promise you that you'll see a build log by a professional and expert modeler.

Garth
Weebles
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 01:29 PM UTC
Stan does great work Garth. We'll look forward to seeing it.
Dave
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 20, 2014 - 01:59 AM UTC
As do I, David, as do I.

My brother and I just have to try and find the time to do that. We just haven't had the time, ha ha ha ha. He has had doctor appointments, he has had to take our mother to her appointments and this past Tuesday, he had to drive me up to Springfield to an interview at MassMutual.

Stan has been holding on to the SEA HURRICANE that my brother had him build for me as a Christmas gift for almost a year now, ha ha ha ha.

I wish I could have Alex Johnson build this kit - because that guy really knew and understood PT boats! Much more than I ...

I'm sure he'll be looking over Stan's shoulder as he does the Merit kit.

Garth
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 11:17 AM UTC
The model goes to Stan tomorrow. Stay tuned.
bdanie6
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 02:55 PM UTC
waiting with bated breath Garth

Later
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 24, 2014 - 07:28 AM UTC
Bought the kit over to Stan, he likes it - he said the fit looks good - he said the detail level looks good ... but he did say the painting guide was confusing with the use of paint names like dark gold, cocoa brown and khaki green.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 - 09:59 AM UTC
Hi All,

Not only is Stan an excellent modeler, but he's a genuine and good guy:

I will start your model soon. I don’t see any real problem with what you want me to do. I think it will be interesting and fun to evaluate the kit.

Thanks a bunch for the chance to do so. Stan.

P S Have a great day.

More to follow ...
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2014 - 07:58 AM UTC
Hello All,

I just wanted to tell you ... Stan is dealing with some family health issues - which has seriously prohibited his doing this project for me.

I am trying to decide if I'll have another local modeler I know of do it - or have a friend - who is a modeler from PA - do it...

Garth
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 10:20 AM UTC

Hi Guys,

Finally heard from Stan: He's dealing with some serious personal issues lately, but he did say this about the kit. I am not sure what he meant about the three 20mm when the kit only has one.

" Hi Tim,

The deck fits on the hull quite well. The following step was a surprise. It had me putting together 3 20 mm machine guns. I only made 1 because I couldn’t find where 3 went. After that it starts on the Structures that fit on the deck which is more understanding. I haven’t started those yet."

Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 01:22 PM UTC
Ahoy Garth

Thanks for the update.

I am sure the slight delay in progress will be worth it in the long run.

Cheers

Sean
Weebles
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 18, 2014 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys,

Finally heard from Stan: He's dealing with some serious personal issues lately, but he did say this about the kit. I am not sure what he meant about the three 20mm when the kit only has one.

" Hi Tim,

The deck fits on the hull quite well. The following step was a surprise. It had me putting together 3 20 mm machine guns. I only made 1 because I couldn’t find where 3 went. After that it starts on the Structures that fit on the deck which is more understanding. I haven’t started those yet."

I looked at the instructions and what they mean is make 3 magazines for the 20mm. One goes on the gun and two go in the ammo locker.
Dave
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 19, 2014 - 12:39 AM UTC
Yes, Gerry Niles on SN said that, Dave ... I'll tell Stan today in an email.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 21, 2014 - 02:14 AM UTC
Got this update from Bobby Cicconi in an email today ...

"I'm up to about section 10 in the PT build. So far I like the kit a lot. It's nicely done and has a minimum of flash and seams. I read one person who said that there are injection sink marks on the 50 cal turret assemblies that are still visible even when completed, but that's not the case. I'll try and send some photos this weekend. Nothing too exciting, mostly sub-assemblies ..."

Garth
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 05:56 AM UTC
Heard from Bobby last night ......

He says that there are three major sprue gates that need to be removed and sanded smooth before painting. They are the only major sprue flash that I encountered other than the usual attachment points of each part on the trees. The 40mm gun is very detailed and a mini-kit in itself.
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 07:26 AM UTC
Sounds like nice progress Garth.

Cheers

Sean
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 27, 2014 - 09:21 AM UTC
It's Bobby. So HECK YEAH it's good progress.
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 11:49 AM UTC
Heard from Bob Cicconi, he likes the kit's 40mm, ... "I'm telling you- it's like a mini-kit. The torpedo racks are well done also. I really like the kit a lot. I'm extremely impressed with the fit. The parts fit together very well. The torpedo racks required the most dry fitting and cleanup, but even they weren't too bad. I remember doing the 1/35 Italeri kit, and the torpedo racks were a real pain in the ass."

TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 24, 2014 - 09:34 PM UTC
Received this from Bob Cicconi overnight, regarding the building up of the Merit late-war Elco kit ... he likes it.

"Virtually all the parts have the initial green # 2 color sprayed on them. I sprayed the prop shafts, rudders, and anchor Alclad steel. I sprayed the natural wood parts with Testors wood color. The torpedoes have the warhead painted green # 2 and the body and props are Alclad burnt metal to replicate the natural metal of the torpedo body with cosmolene or oil spread on it to prevent oxidation. The canvas parts were sprayed with Testors khaki drab. I used the Merit prop color for the 3 main boat props. I started to put some of the secondary colors on some of the sub-assemblies, like the radar mast and strut and will start to mask off and spray the camou colors on the sub-assemblies and the hull. It's coming along nicely."
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 12:16 AM UTC
Great progress Garth would love to see some pictures.

Cheers

Sean
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 - 12:32 AM UTC
Sean,

Hi. If I was a little more post-savvy, I would.

Quoted Text

Great progress Garth would love to see some pictures.

Cheers

Sean

TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 30, 2014 - 06:12 AM UTC
I received this in an email from Bob earlier today: "I need to spray one or two spots on the hull to touch up a couple places that I want to make better. Almost all the sub-assemblies are done. I just need to paint the mufflers, small weapons, put the decals on, do a few pin washes to bring some detail out, assemble all the parts onto the deck, put the prop shafts, supports, and props on the hull, flat clear everything, attach the deck to the hull and it's done. It sounds like a lot of work, but I should have it done by the end of next week. I'll take a bunch of photos and post the build, but I'll send it to you first, so you can see what I say about the kit and paints. Next time I hope Garth picks out something without 18 colors in the scheme."
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, December 28, 2014 - 04:54 AM UTC
I have Bob Cicconi's build review of the kit. I'll have it posted to www.ptboatworld.com.

Tim

Quoted Text

I received this in an email from Bob earlier today: "I need to spray one or two spots on the hull to touch up a couple places that I want to make better. Almost all the sub-assemblies are done. I just need to paint the mufflers, small weapons, put the decals on, do a few pin washes to bring some detail out, assemble all the parts onto the deck, put the prop shafts, supports, and props on the hull, flat clear everything, attach the deck to the hull and it's done. It sounds like a lot of work, but I should have it done by the end of next week. I'll take a bunch of photos and post the build, but I'll send it to you first, so you can see what I say about the kit and paints. Next time I hope Garth picks out something without 18 colors in the scheme."

_GOTOTOP