Vallejo Primer
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 01:46 AM UTC
Hi all,

Hoping to get some feedback from anyone who has used Vallejo Primer. I ordered a bottle and am waiting for it to arrive. So for those who have used it, was your experience good? How did you prep the model prior to applying the primer? How did the primer react to PE parts?

thanks for any feedback.

Dave
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi David

I have used a number of the Vallejo primers now and some times just use them as the main paint not just as a primer. As for preparation I only do what you would normally do and that is to clean the plastic or PE before starting to remove all the grease or oil that has been applied during the manufacturing process just a quick dip and wipe in some dish washing detergent will do

This Bronco Seehund was painted just using the Red primer and Light Grey Primer paints and it gave me a good result hope this helps

Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 02:40 AM UTC
And this is air-brushable? And dilutes with water, or full strength out of the bottle? How durable is it compared to the rest of Vallejo paints, and how does it compare to Tamiya spray can lacquer primer?
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 02:52 AM UTC
These are very effective paints in my opinion and easy to work with I have used mainly with the airbrush straight from the bottle no need to thin and also used as a brush paint on small details it covers and sprays very well I have used on both Armour and Naval subjects with some good results only thing to watch out for is to make sure you clean out your airbrush thoroughly after use with a good cleaning agent as it does tend to build up in the nozzle after some time but this is not a hard ship for me

Keith
rolltide31
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,481 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,332 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 03:06 AM UTC
Keith,

I appreciate the feedback and advice. Looking forward to receiving my bottle so I can move forward with my current project.

thanks again

Dave
Thudius
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,194 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 04:37 AM UTC
Nothing but positive experiences with the primers with one minor exception: it doesn't sand well unless it has cured for several days, and then using very fine wet/dry. It brushes on (no airbrush experience) very nicely without thinning and actually helps seal pe in place because of the film that forms. It snuggles down great and self levels quite well.

Kimmo
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, June 23, 2014 - 05:10 AM UTC
Excellent stuff, wouldn't use anything else. Brushable or sprayable straight from the bottle but can be further thinned with water. Keith is right in advising you to clean the model before applying the ground coat. Vallejo ground is allergic to grease. Kimmo is also correct in advising a long drying and curing time before sanding it. Added to all this the amazing selection of colors now available and the very reasonable price why bother with anything else
 _GOTOTOP